Featured Post

Game Week: My Top 10 Favorite Ninendo Wii / WiiU Games!

In addition to baseball cards and LEGO sets, I also have a strong interest in games of all types.  I already talked about one of my favorite card games yesterday.  Today, we take a look at some of my favorite video games.

Currently, I own a Nintendo Wii and a Nintendo Wii U to go along with my Playstation 3.  As a kid, I was introduced to video games with the original Nintendo (my aunt and uncle had one that they would bring to our house when they visited - it was the best!).  My first system that I owned was a Super Nintendo (which still resides in the basement of my parent's house).  From there, I had a Nintendo 64 and a Game Cube before my current trio of systems.  Although I definitely use my Playstation more at the moment, there are plenty of great Nintendo Wii / Wii U games out there that I've played.

Note:  If you buy a Wii U, you can also play any Wii game (but you can't play Wii U games on a Wii)!

Here's my Top 10:
Side note:  If you plan to buy anything off of Amazon (even if it's not one of the games below), I'd appreciate your support if you'd simply click on any of the links and make your order from there.  Help keep Nachos Grande in the black - my goal is to make my baseball card hobby self-sufficient so any help I can get from advertising is appreciated!!

#10:  Grand Slam Tennis (Wii)

When the Wii first came out, everyone seemed to be excited for one of two things - Light Sabers and racquet sports.  Unfortunately, neither idea ended up working out perfectly with the wand controller.  That said, I had quite a bit of fun playing Grand Slam Tennis - though I would caution you to make sure you use the wrist strap because my brother once launched his remote across the room in a rather intense gaming session!








#9:  Wii Sports (Wii)

Wii Sports was a pack in back when the Wii was originally sold - and it was a genius move by Nintendo.  The game features a fair number of sports but the highlight for most people was the bowling.  It was simple, intuitive, and was an instant draw (even for non-gamers).  I definitely spent a lot of time playing this game when the Wii was new - but I haven't dusted it off in quite some time.  I also bought Wii Sports Resort (a sequel of sorts) but that didn't quite have the same "magic" as the original even though it had more events and activities.






#8:  Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)

Super Mario Galaxy was the first 3D Mario game since the disappointing Super Mario Sunshine for the Nintendo Game Cube.  For me, Galaxy was almost perfect - it had plenty of levels and lots of cool ideas.  The only disappointment was that it was basically a pretty easy game.  I enjoy almost all Mario games simply because they are fun...but I enjoy the ones that are challenging even more!








#7:  LEGO City Undercover (Wii U)

We've reached our first Wii U game on the list!  I actually only own four Wii U games so there won't be a lot on this list (since I'm only including games that I own and have played).  In fact, I can say that not all four Wii U games that I own will make the list!  As for LEGO City, this game was my first foray into the LEGO video game series.  I never had much interest in the LEGO Batman or LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean so I always ignored those.  LEGO City eschews the licensing tie-ins of previous game entries and is instead it's own story complete with unique characters.  This game made me laugh out loud multiple times and was simply a blast to play through.  It's not terribly difficult (though you might say some of the steering is difficult - but not in a good way).  There's also way too many useless collectibles - I like to find/complete/unlock everything in a game but even I eventually drew a line in terms of the collectibles in this game.


#6:  Super Paper Mario (Wii)

This is the only game on the list that I don't actually own anymore.  After completely beating the game, I sold it on eBay in order to buy something new.  Obviously, that means that I didn't find the replay value of this game to be all that high!  That said, the initial play through was a lot of fun - and there's a decent challenge to be had at times as well which I liked.








#5:  Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)

Super Mario Galaxy 2 took all the good stuff from the original Galaxy game and then expanded upon it.  Oftentimes, sequels pale compared to the original but for the Galaxy games it's safe to say that Galaxy 2 is quite a bit stronger than the original.  I enjoyed more of the levels in this game - plus I thought it was a bit more challenging (though still not all that difficult).  Had Nintendo upped the difficulty a bit more, this game would have easily been in my top two!







#4:  New Super Mario Bros U (Wii U)

This game, along with the game in the next spot on the countdown, is fun because it allows for simultaneous play.  New Super Mario Bros U is a 2D side-scrolling game that proved to be quite fun - and it had a few difficult levels which you could unlock at the end of the game (which were a lot of fun to play)!









#3:  Super Mario Bros Wii (Wii)

Super Mario Bros Wii returns to the time of 2D side-scrollers - exactly the kind of games I grew up on.  For that reason alone, this game would score well with me.  However, the real joy of the game came from the fact that I was able to play this one with my wife.  She and I played simultaneously (no more waiting your turn!) and beat every level, collected every star, and unlocked all the secrets.  In fact, we did this at least three different times from start to finish!  It's that final fact that had me place this game one spot higher than the Wii U version.






#2:  Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)

I played a lot of the Donkey Kong Country games back when I had my Super Nintendo.  I remember going to the video store and renting them like crazy - it would take me multiple rentals to actually be able to beat the game as they were always challenging!  I'm pleased to report that the Wii game is just as challenging as any of the SNES Donkey Kong games!  This was a game that I mostly played solo (I don't think having two people playing at the same time was all that much fun in DKCR as compared to the New Super Mario games).  It was also a game that took me about a year to beat, though I only played it a few days per month (again, I use my PS3 a lot more often)!  I would say that even if you only own a Wii U, this is a game worth purchasing (and a new Donkey Kong Country game is scheduled to be released for the Wii U sometime in February of next year I believe)!


#1:  New Super Luigi U (Wii U)

This brings us to my #1 game for the Wii/Wii U to date.  The winner?  The sequel of sorts to New Super Mario Bros for the Wii U - New Super Luigi U!  This is basically a remake of the NSMB Wii U where Nintendo took the same levels, put a 100 second counter on each level, and then upped the difficulty ten-fold.  My wife and I had a blast playing through the levels - and with two people on the screen both racing the clock, it made for plenty of crazy antics and hi-jinks!  It's no surprise to me that this game ended up #1 with DKCR a close #2 - I like a good, challenging game but it doesn't have to be full of blood and guts (you'll notice my entire Top 10 list is full of family friendly titles).





As for future games, I know that I'll want the new Donkey Kong game that I mentioned above.  I also put the LEGO Marvel game on my wish list for Christmas (along with the new 3D Mario game).  If I end up getting either of those games in December, I may have to redo this list...but for now, that's my Top 10 Games for the Wii / Wii U!

Comments

  1. My son and I play a lot of Wii games and I'd put Super Luigi U at the top of my list too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have a Wii U yet but I totally agree with all of your Wii choices. DKCR is a masterpiece that reminds me of the original series on the SNES that I played the crap out of!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure you're really looking forward to DKCR: Tropical Freeze. We finally get to play as Cranky Kong!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment