Thursday, July 24, 2014

2014 Topps Allen & Ginter Box #1 Conclusion: Given the Choice Between an Autograph and Being Boiled Alive...

For me, it's always a bit sad to reach into a hobby box and pull out the final few packs.  I love opening up packs so getting to the end of the box is always a bit of a somber experience.  Happily for me, while the first box of 2014 Topps Allen & Ginter's is all but complete, I still have three more sitting on my desk waiting to be ripped (and scaned...and posted)!  

Through 22 packs, I've found exactly two hits which means there better be a hit in one of the final two packs or else my box was shorted...  

Pack 23:
169.  Dale Murphy
176.  Anthony Robles
194.  Avisail Garcia
253.  Rickey Henderson
Pastime's Pastimes:  Rickey Henderson

Reg. mini:  65.  Fred McGriff

Framed autograph:  AGA-DR.  Darin Ruf

Well, the good news is my box had three hits.  Even better news is I lucked out and pulled an autograph.  The bad news?  I've never even heard of Darin Ruf before - even if the back of the card says he is a star outfielder for the Philadelphia Phillies.  

Pack 24:
12.  Jedd Gyorko
34.  Felix Hernandez
175.  Chase Utley
267.  Kevin Clancy
268.  Jarrod Parker
271.  Chuck Klosterman
Pastime's Pastimes:  Nolan Ryan

Outlaws, Bandits, and All-Around Ne'er Do Wells:  Ishikawa Goemon

We end the box on a high note (for me) with another mini insert.  Did you know that Goemon was a legendary Japanese outlaw in the 16th century who ultimately met his demise when he and his son were boiled alive in public as punishment?  

2 comments:

Mark Hoyle said...

What's Rickey's pastime

Richard Nebe Jr. said...

That Outlaws card is too cool! I may have to chase that sub-set down!
Keep me in mind before you go to eBay with that Ruf auto, I'd be interested in it...

Post a Comment