Featured Post

Delivery Time! Vintage Goodies Make Any Week Better!

Over the past few weeks, I have been scheduling my posts to appear like clockwork at 8:00 AM EST.  In my head, that seemed like a good time since most people would be awake (or just waking up) and it would give people something to read with the morning coffee.

Unfortunately, based on my blog statistics that idea was hogwash. People must actually work at 8:00 AM EST...or else they are still sleeping.  No matter the reason, the readership didn't seem to be there so after multiple weeks of the 8:00 AM posting schedule I am officially dropping that plan in favor of a new plan:  6:00 PM EST postings.

Will the evening postings work better?  I'm not sure - but I do know the mornings weren't well attended.  Heck, maybe people are simply bored of my many trade posts and Allen & Ginter posts?!

Well, today's post (now appearing at 6:00 PM) is decided non-Gintery.  Instead, it's very much vintage and it's all thanks to blog reader Mark (who doesn't have a blog as far as my records show).  Mark is well known throughout the blog-o-sphere because of his generous PWEs which are often filled with vintage goodies.  For today's post, that's exactly what we have!

Mark sent me a healthy stack of vintage Reds but I went through and picked out my five favorites.

For me, it's unfortunate that I was born in the early 80s because I've never witnessed my favorite team have any sort of prolonged success.  In fact, most people these days don't even know who the Reds are (or where they play)...I can't tell you the number of times someone has seen me wearing one of my Reds hats with the "C" on it and they ask me if it's for the Chicago Cubs.

Speaking of the Cubs though, I guess I can't complain about not having lived long enough to see the Reds have prolonged success...at least the Reds have one World Series win in my lifetime.  The Cubs?  Well, Chicago doesn't have a World Series win in most of our grandparent's lifetimes.

I'm not entirely sure how the above anecdote came to mind looking at the Chaney card.  But hey, it's good to keep my readers on their toes.

Next up, the goofiest looking card in the bunch:  Bob Tolan in a giant windbreaker (and perhaps sweat pants)?

Even the background looks fake - is that a real stadium back there or did Topps use some sort of studio shot here?  I don't even know if Topps had studio shots back in 1972 - but you can't hold that against me, I wasn't born yet.

I don't know all that much about Tolan, but I know plenty about the next fellow.

That's the Hit King himself.

Unfortunately, for as good as Rose was as a player he seems equally douch-like as a person.  His gambling not withstanding, his constant vacillations between conciliatory statements and inflammatory actions (signing nearby Hall of Fame events for example) rubs me the wrong way.  I don't think he cares one iota about his gambling and other transgressions, he only cares that he can't cash in with MLB like he thinks he ought to.  On the other hand, having MLB only allow the Reds to trot out Rose for events with their blessing is almost as annoying as Rose himself.

I think I'll stick with the baseball card version of Rose.

Moving on, we return to our old friend Bob Tolan.

Here, Tolan ditched the ill-fitting windbreaker and donned a two-sizes-too-small jersey for his photo op.  At least he kept the same batting stance - and how about those sideburns?  Doesn't that make you ache for the 70s?

The final card in the bunch is another favorite - and wouldn't you know it that 'ol Tolan shows up in the third card of the post!

Many, many thanks for the great vintage goodies Mark!  As for anyone else, if you want to trade be sure to check out my want list and make an offer!

Comments