Featured Post

Gint-a-Cuffs: It Finally Ends! Last Two Packs (and Final Box Hit)

Gint-a-Cuffs marks a high point for my summer vacation.  The set itself is consistently my favorite release of the year and the competition only adds to the fun of busting packs!  I enjoy writing my own posts and I definitely enjoy reading other people's posts.  Therefore, when the final Gint-a-Cuffs post is about to be written by me, I can't help but feel a bit melancholy.  Happily, I know for a fact that there is one more hit remaining to be discovered...and the hope is that the hit will propel me to the top of the leader board*!

*by now, I'm guessing someone pulled a rip card or some other super high scoring hit but if you didn't guess I've been pre-writing my Gint-a-Cuffs posts for quite some time.  In fact, this is the final Gint-a-Cuffs post and I managed to get it written back on August 4.  On that date, no one had a fully busted (and posted) box so I have no idea how my box stacks up to everyone else's.  

Heading into the final two packs my box sits at what I hope is a respectable 163.6 points.  Let's try to add to it - though hitting 200 points seems to be a pipe dream now.

Pack 23:
127.  Greg Maddux
235.  Masahiro Tanaka
242.  Warren Spahn
273.  Danielle Kang
285.  Carl Crawford
325.  Darryl Strawberry
A&G back mini:  228.  Orlando Cepeda
World's Capitals:  20.  Athens

I couldn't go a pack without a freaking Yankee, could I?  The Tanaka is -1 but the Strawberry short print makes up for it with a +2.  Speaking of +2, the Athens World Capital card is worth two points as is the A&G back mini card.

Pack total:  5 points
Running total:  168.6 points

I was hoping for a much higher scoring penultimate pack if I had any hope of hitting 200 points.  Could there be a rip card in my box to push me over the magical threshold?

In a word:  No.

But hey, it's not all bad news

Pack 24:
101.  Mike Trout
159.  George Brett
216.  Matt Besser
224.  Tanner Foust
Black border mini:  97.  Sparky Anderson
Pastime's Pastimes:  Jean Segura
Framed Relic:  RB-JZ  Jordan Zimmerman

Well, I'll take it!  The Segura is +2, the black bordered Sparky is +3, and the framed relic?  Well, they are a lot tougher to pull this year (the B Version relics are seeded 1:175 packs!) which means this card is worth a whopping +20 points!

Pack total:  25 points
Box total:  193.6 points

I didn't quite hit the 200 mark (and I'm guessing someone will) but I'm still happy with the box.  Last year's Gint-a-Cuffs showing was an unmitigated disaster for me (I finished second-to-last) so at least I atoned for that this year.  A greedier me would have wished that my framed relic was of a favorite player - that's all it would have taken to push me up and over the 200 point mark but oh well!

Oh wait!  The "Five Point Selfie" Bonus.
I'm not ashamed to say I suck at Selfies.
FINAL BOX TOTAL:  198.6 POINTS

So Close to 200 points!

Good luck to all contestants - and thanks to our great Gint-a-Cuffs commissioner as well (kind words constitute the extent of my bribe unless he decides that Jordan Zimmerman is his favorite player all of the sudden).

Comments