Featured Post

2015 Topps Jumbo Case Group Break: Box #3: Pack-by-Pack (Packs 8 - 10)

As of the time of my writing this post, I have busted five of the six group break boxes out of the 2015 Topps Jumbo Series 1 case.  However, I have fallen a bit behind on my scanning - so let's try and catch up a bit with another few packs.

Tonight, I present the final three packs out of the third jumbo box.  You can watch the full video of the box break here - but if you prefer scans, read on!


Box 3:
Pack 8:

The eighth pack of the box brought us our usual assortment of base cards...plus another seven inserts!  Included in the inserts was the buyback card of Chet Lemon from 1979 Topps.  A big congrats to JediJeff for landing a stamped version of a card he probably already had two or three copies of!

Pack #8 also contained a pair of parallels.  The first was a Dominic Brown (Phillies) rainbow foil parallel.  The second was a much bigger hit - it's of Tanner Roark (Nationals) and it happens to be a black parallel numbered 52/64.  

The black parallels are seeded 1:22 jumbo packs which means you should get 2-3 per jumbo case.  Congrats to Cardboard Hogs (who claimed the Nats) for the nice parallel hit!

Pack 9:

As I've said before, the real draw of Topps' flagship (to me anyhow) is the base cards.  As such, while a group break does typically focus on the hits and inserts, I like to show off at least one base card per post.  For this post, that means I'm going to show off this Curtis Granderson card.

Granderson is rocking the Mets' camo jerseys which (I presume) are meant to honor our nation's military.  Personally, I fail to see how a bunch of military-aged males playing a game for millions (and millions) of dollars while wearing a fake camo jersey is much of an honor.  Maybe a better honor would be for those same males to either A)  serve in the military or B) donate some of their paycheck to the military.  It seems a tad bit disingenuous to me, but what do I know?

Speaking of disingenuous, there was an Alex Rodriguez insert among the seven inserts in the pack!  That said, I chose to show off the Nolan Ryan (Astros) insert instead since I think most of us would agree that Ryan is a more palatable human being.

Congrats to Bru for landing a nice card of Ryan!

The ninth pack also contained a Pedro Alvarez (Pirates) gold parallel numbered 1975/2015.

I think the gold parallels looks ok this year - but on a Pirates' card, they look awesome!

Finally, we end with yet another Dodger (congrats Night Owl - again!) from the totally awesome Gallery of Greats insert set.

This time it's a true great:  Jackie Robinson.  I love the card even if the image seem like it's a recycled shot from about twenty other Topps' sets from the past.

Pack 10:

The final pack of the box only had six inserts which included a Lonnie Chisenhall (Indians) rainbow foil card.  However, the real draw of the pack was our third and final hit of the box:
This card looks much nicer in person than it does in the scan!

That's a MLB Silhouetted Batter Logo Pin of Manny Machado of the Orioles.  A huge congrats to Play at the Plate for nabbing his second Machado hit of the break!  The Silhouetted Batter pins are not serially numbered.  They aren't terribly uncommon either seeing as they are seeded 1:18 jumbo packs.

That's it for box #3!  Overall, I would say that box #3 was solid since it held two nice parallels (one snow camo, one black bordered) plus two Manny Machado hits.  The easy winner was the Orioles but there were a few other teams who also did quite well (including the Dodgers with two more of the Gallery of  Greats inserts).

I hope everyone is enjoying the group break...and I hope between the videos and the scans that everyone is able to enjoy the break the way that they choose.  Some people prefer videos, others would rather read...it's my goal to make both groups happy!

Comments

  1. Sweet! Another Nolan Astro card. I knew this was a great decision.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment