Featured Post

A TCDB Surprise Card from mpdillard25!

The Unexpected Benefits of Hosting a Group Break (Bob Walk the Plank Edition)

Before I get to the unexpected benefits that arrived from hosting my last group break, I'd like to take a moment to plug my current group break.  Basically, I'll be busting a full case of 2015 Topps Heritage plus a box of 2004 Topps Clubhouse Collection.  In the end, we should walk away with at least 32 hits plus tons of other goodies from the Heritage case.  At the moment, there are wayyyy to many slots available - I desperately need to sell more as I can't afford to take on half of the case for myself!

I now return you to today's originally scheduled post.

-----------


Matthew (from the expertly named Bob Walk the Plank blog) recently joined in on my 2015 Topps Series 1 Jumbo Case Group Break and did quite well.  I was happy to pull a couple of hits for him - and it would certainly appear he was happy too since he sent me a small (but potent) "thank you" package for hosting the break.

Matthew sent me a trio of Reds hits (which happens to be exactly three more Reds hits than I received in the group break)!!

First up, a 2009 Jay Bruce Allen & Ginter relic.

For a basic white bit of cloth, you can't beat Allen & Giner's relic presentation with the frames holding a mini card holding a bit of cloth.

The second hit that Matthew set my way was actually a double-sided hit.  The Back to Back jacks in this 2003 Donruss Elite card gets its name from having a home run hitter on the front (with a bat relic) and on the back of the card (with a bat relic).

The front features Adam Dunn - a popular Reds player/scapegoat - and a guy who I happen to like quite a bit.  I have a small Dunn collection for which this card is an awesome addition!

The back of the card features Austin Kearns, a guy who never really lived up to expectations.  The card is numbered out of 125 as well which adds a bit of perceived scarcity to the card!

Finally, we end with my favorite of the three hits from Matthew - a Brandon Phillips (and Edwin Encarnacion) on card signature!

This is a sweet card - and I love the fact that it's on card (and numbered out of 99).  I may not pull Reds' hits very often but I'm thankful that some of my loyal readers do!

As I said in the post title, that was certainly an unexpected benefit of hosting a group break!  In general, the group breaks are a lot of work - but when we get a good case like the recent Topps case, it is also a lot of fun.  I love reading people's reactions to the cards they get - both in real time on my blog, and when they post their own haul on their blogs (such as what Matthew did here).

Many thanks Matthew - and for everyone else, go check out my current break please!

Comments

  1. Glad you liked the cards. Just glad you enjoy running these breaks. They are a ton of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow cool pick ups. As a Nationals fan I get a kick out of the Dunn/Kearns card. They spent time together on your Reds but also spent a season together on the Nationals. I like both of them and really wish that both had finished their careers with the Nationals but Dunn moved onto the White Sox then fizzled out with the A's, Kearns just sort of fizzled out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those Back to Back Jack cards, of course the dual chirograph is cool as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are great ! Matt is such a gentleman...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That dual auto is gorgeous...awesome cards!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment