Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 351: 1996 Bazooka - #97

Barry Larkin
Year:  1996
Brand:  Bazooka
Card number:  97

The Topps Bazooka line has always been a fun, low-cost line of cards aimed squarely at young (and young-at-heart) collectors.  I may be on the wrong side of 30 years old (for a few years now) but I still consider myself young - and so I appreciate the Bazooka line of cards!

Unfortunately, for as much as I generally like Bazooka I must admit that the 1996 set might have the worst card backs of any Bazooka set that I've seen.  It's WAY too busy...and why is "Zena" on there with an Orioles jersey on?  Weird.  I also can't stand fonts going every which way...not to mention all the different types of fonts happening.  It looks like Microsoft Office just threw up.

Luckily, for as bad as the back of the card is, the front of the card nearly makes up for everything.  It's a great action shot where you can clearly see Larkin AND you can clearly make out the player who is about to be out at second base (Jay Bell of the Pirates I believe).  I even like the bat at the bottom of the card that serves as a nameplate.

I guess the bottom line here is that the 1996 Bazooka set is pretty nice...so long as you never look at the back of the cards.  This would be a good set to sleeve cards back-to-back in a binder if you happen to like to store your cards in 3-ring binders (like I do).

Comments