Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 363: 1996 Bowman - #BBP 17 - Bowman's Best Preview

Barry Larkin
Year:  1996
Brand:  Bowman
Insert set:  Bowman's Best Preview
Card number:  BBP 17

In 1996, there was a 30 card promo set (including this Barry Larkin) that were inserted into regular packs of Bowman as a way of promoting the Bowman's Best line.  While that isn't the worst idea I've ever heard, there were also two parallel versions of the promo cards made (refractors and atomic refractors) that were also inserted as promo cards (albeit at a presumably much lower insertion rate).  As of the time of this post, I do not own either of the parallel versions but I do have the regular version of the promo - this card numbered BBP 17.

The card itself isn't all that great (though it is shiny).  The front design has way too much in the way of yellowish-gold bars for my tastes.  I will say that I like the back of the card though the stat breakdown is a bit weird.  I guess if you are going to try something different, group statistics in chunks of years is one way to fit a long career into a small amount of cardboard real estate!

All told, I don't think if this was a promo in a pack of cards that I opened that I'd go out and buy Bowman's Best.  On the other hand, I sort of wish Topps (and other companies) still did promos like this so that you could sample other sets without resorting to buying packs, blasters, or boxes!  Nowadays we all just live vicariously through the blogs I guess!

Comments