Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 374: 1996 Leaf Preferred - #38

Barry Larkin
Year:  1996
Brand:  Leaf Preferred
Card number:  38

The Leaf brand was a brand that I all-but-totally ignored during my childhood.   Oh sure, I bought plenty of Donruss, but Leaf?  No thanks.  Blech.

This particular card is a perfect example of why I generally shied away from the brand.  The overall design is incredibly blocky (not in a good way) and the use of foil (minimal as it is) is still infuriating.  Furthermore, the two photos that Leaf chose to use are among the most boring photos of Larkin that I've ever seen.  You can barely make out Barry's face in the front image while the photo on the back makes it look like Larkin is about to lose his lunch...  Blech.

Oh, and did I mention that you only get one year's worth of stats...and barely that even.  Seriously, only eight categories of statistics?  Blech.

The only thing that's good about this card is that I own it because I'm a Larkin completionist!  It's safe to say that I'll never purposely purchase any other '96 Leaf Preferred cards (except for that Steel insert card of Larkin that I don't yet own...and it's gold parallel too).  Oh yeah, there's also a Press Proof version of the above card.  So I guess I ought to buy more of the set after all.

Blech.

Comments