Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 392: 1996 Fleer - #12 - Team Leaders Insert

Barry Larkin
Year:  1996
Brand:  Fleer
Insert set:  Team Leaders
Card number:  12

The 1996 Fleer set had an insert set called Team Leaders which, appropriately enough, featured a great player from each of the 28 teams (that existed at the time).  The Reds' team leader was decided to be Larkin which is no surprise given that Larkin was coming off of his 1995 MVP year!

As for this particular card, the back of the card is ok - lot's of white space but it actually makes for a clean presentation which I like.  The front, on the other hand, is everything the back isn't...bold, shiny, brash, and busy!  For whatever reason, the weird juxtaposition of the elements on the front of the card works for me - I even kind of like the part where it appears a three year old was trying to color in the Reds' logo with a crayon!

Every once in a while I run across a card that I like despite every logical sign pointing to the fact that I shouldn't like the card.  This is definitely one of those cards!

Comments

  1. That design is so quintessentially 90's; but, I have to say, that crayon effect does have a certain charm to it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment