Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 425: 1997 Donruss - #23

Barry Larkin
Year:  1997
Brand:  Donruss
Card number:  23

There aren't a lot of years of the Donruss brand that I actually like.  It's safe to say that 1997 Donruss firmly belongs in the "no thanks" pile along with most of Donruss' other offerings despite this set having a few redeeming qualities.

For starters, I do like the front image and the full-bleed photography looks good (and the faded border even works ok for me)...but that foil.  The cursed foil.  It's awful.  The foil Reds' logo is much to small, and there's no reason for it to be foil.  And the foil boxes?  Just why?

On the back, we all know that I pretty much despise diagonal text boxes.  There's no good reason for them.  Ever.

There's also no good reason to make the card number so small...and then using a difficult-to-read font on top of it?  Cruel.

On the plus side, the reverse of the card does have a different (full color) photo.  That's something I guess!  Still not enough to save the set for me though.  I'll be happy having this one Larkin card in my Barry Larkin Collection binder but I won't be actively seeking any non-Larkins from this set.  Ever.

Comments