Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 432: 1998 Fleer Flair Showcase - #65 - Row 2 (Showpiece) Version

Barry Larkin
Year:  1998
Brand:  Fleer Flair Showcase
Subset:  Row 2 - Showpiece
Card number:  65

The 1998 (Fleer) Flair Showcase set is a confusing mess of a thing.  Each base card comes in four varieties, but the different varieties are more common or rarer depending on the card number.  In Barry's case, this is one of the Showpieces (Row 2) cards which counts as a style card.  If that makes any sense whatsoever to you, congratulations you are ahead of me!

According to baseballcardpedia, Larkin's Showpiece card was part of a group of cards seeded 1:4 packs.  There is also a more common Row 3 card (Showdown, seeded 1:1.5 packs) and a rarer Row 1 card (Showtime, seeded 1:6 packs).  There is also a Row 0 card (Showstopper serially numbered out of 1000).  Now, if that weren't all confusing enough, there is also a pair of parallels Legacy Collection (numbered out of 100) and Masterpieces (numbered 1 of 1) for all the versions of the cards in the set.

I don't know how anyone ever managed to put together a master set of the product...as for me right now, I don't even own any of the other Larkin cards from the 1998 Flair Showcase set (and that includes the more common Row 3 base card)!

All that said, I have to admit that I actually like this card quite a bit.  In fact, I'm a sucker for most of Fleer's late 90s offerings - and Flair Showcase is no exception.  I really ought to make it a priority to track down the other Barry Larkin cards from this set!

Comments