Featured Post

It's Not Every Day You Get an Envelope with No Stamp!

About a week or two ago, I received an envelope from everyone's favorite blog reader, Mark H.  Mark sent me a PWE with some new Heritage cards for me (more on that in a moment) but the more remarkable thing (pun not intended) was that Mark forgot the postage stamp and yet the envelope still found its way to me (and no "pay the post office" note attached).  I guess for all the times that the Post Office has screwed up my mail, this is a step in my favor.

As for the cards, these are my first 2016 Heritage cards.  I swore off buying any more Heritage until I finally clear off some of the various Heritage years from my want list (2014, 2011, 2009, and 2008).  I did manage to knock of 2007 Heritage this year, so at least I am making some progress towards my goal!

Anyhow, let's look at some cardboard!

Zack Cozart:

Cozart is a light-hitting, slick fielding shortstop who is still with the Reds.  To be fair to Cozart, he did hit much better in his limited time (194 at bats) in 2015 - his .258 average was quite a bit above his career .245 number.

Reds' Team Card:

Frazier has the prime spot in the photo and he is now plying his trade for the White Sox.  Billy Hamilton is still on the Reds, and he still can't hit water if he fell out of a boat.  Suarez was one of the few bright spots for the Reds in the early going this year, but I don't know if his numbers are sustainable or not.  I certainly hope he ends up being good for the long run.

J.J. Hoover:

What can you say about Hoover other than "he sucks."  Seriously, he went 1-10 in 2014...though he almost flipped the script in 2015 with an 8-2 record.  And yes, I say some of that in jest because win/loss records are stupid, and even stupider for relievers.  That said, he's been a bit of a dumpster fire so far in 2016...but then again, most of the Reds' bullpen has been like putting gasoline on a fire so far so he's in good company.

Brandon Phillips:

Dat Dude is still on the Reds, which is a bit of a surprise considering the Reds almost traded him multiple times this off season (only to have Phillips nix the trades).  He's one of the few name brand players left though so I guess he has that going for him still.

And last but not least:  Rosie Red sticker.

Sometimes I think if the Reds spent half of the time and energy that they use on mascots to work on the actual team on the field, they'd be better off.  As it is though, the Reds have more mascots with name recognition (Rosie Red, Mr. Red, and Gapper) than they do baseball players on the field (Votto, Phillips, and ??).  

Many thanks for the trade, Mark!  This package is a painful reminder of how bad the Reds are going to be this year - but I also appreciate getting some Heritage Reds cards without having to actually buy them myself!  As for anyone else, if you'd like to trade be sure to check out my want list and make an offer.

Comments