Featured Post

Flashback Friday! An Unopened Pack of 1992 Upper Deck

I started my Flashback Friday series of posts way back in September of 2015.  Since that time, I've done a grand total of six Flashback Friday posts - all but one of which involved some sort of pack of cards. 

Today is my first Flashback Friday post for 2018 - and like most of the posts from previous years, it too will consist of a pack of cards.  This time around, it's 1992 Upper Deck.  A set that I always liked as a child...but now it is time to see how well the set holds up through my adult collector's eyes.

This particular pack of cards promises 15 cards with an exciting new card design for 1992.  The pack also implores me to "find the Williams" which refers to the 9-card Ted Willaims "Baseball Heroes" set inserted into the packs.  According to the pack wrapper, there are also 2500 autographed copies of the Ted Williams cards.  How cool would it be to find one of those?!

Let's hop in the time machine and go back to 1992.

Note:  The cards are in the order they appeared in the pack.

688.  Scott Terry

1992 starts off like so many other years of baseball cards...with a freaking Cardinals card.  Scott Terry looks kind of angry in this photograph.  Maybe he just gave up a home run or something.  I could live with that (he had a 2.80 ERA in 1991 so I doubt he gave up all that many home runs).  Oh well.

642.  Best Left-handed Pitcher:  Jim Abbott

Abbott was certainly a feel good story in 1992 after he finished third in the 1991 Cy Young Award race.

592.  Donn Pall (who?)
540.  Don Slaught
423.  Paul Molitor

One of the great things about the 1992 Upper Deck set is that the photography is top notch for the most part.  In fact, many of the smaller photos on the backside of the cards are even better than the larger front-facing photographs!

406.  Jason Grimsley
381.  Charlie O'Brien
371.  Todd Stottlemyre
230.  Gilberto Reyes (who?)
271.  Pete Incaviglia
159.  Kevin Appier

Keep your eye on the ball!

183.  Chris Hoiles

Awesome play at the plate card.  You won't see many more photographs like this today thanks to the Buster Posey rule.

45.  Mo Sanford

First Reds card of the pack gets a scan, even if it is "only" Mo.

32 of 36.  Ted Williams Baseball Heroes

Well, no autograph but still nice to pull one of the Ted Williams Baseball Heroes inserts.  I love the design of the Baseball Heroes set - so simple, yet it works so well.  Good stuff.

336.  Greg Swindell

That was a fun little romp through history, wasn't it?  I definitely think that 1992 Upper Deck holds up well.  Oh sure, the design isn't necessarily memorable as compared to the 1993 UD set...and it sort of blends in with both 1990 and 1991 Upper Deck designs...but I like it.  In fact, I'm probably in the minority that likes the 1992 design better than the 1993 Upper Deck design.

...and now, I need to see if I'm close enough to completing the 1992 Upper Deck set to consider adding it to my want list.  What can I say, I like the set!



Comments

  1. If you put a list up, I’ll hit it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This set '92 is when I really started collecting. It will always hold a special place in my heart and collection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment