Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 599: 1998 Topps Stars - #65 - Bronze parallel (#/9799)

Barry Larkin
Year:  1998
Brand:  Topps Stars
Card number:  65 (#1053/9799)
Parallel set:  Bronze

The 1998 Topps Stars set was distributed to Topps' Home Team Advantage stores only...and because of that, each base card is numbered out of a somewhat weird 9,799 copies (I have copy #1053 in my possession).  Even more confusing, there is a Bronze parallel of each base card that is also numbered to the same 9799.  From what I can tell, my card is actually a bronze parallel and not the regular base card (which I believe has red foil instead).  Even worse, there is a silver parallel (#/4399) and a gold parallel (#/2299).  Finally, there is a gold rainbow parallel numbered out of only 99.  Other than the bronze card you see above, I don't (yet) own any of the other versions of this card...I guess that gives me some new goals to try and track down!

As for the card itself, I guess it is okay. Honestly, it's nothing special...the front features a standard photo with some sort of weird background made up of starry blobs and a blurred out stadium crowd while the back of the car features a mess of fonts with a serial numbered printed over the secondary photo of Larkin.  I will admit that the set design fits withing the "Stars" theme of the set...but it doesn't do all that much for me.  I can't even say that I'm overly keen on trying to track down the remaining parallels...though if they happen to end up coming into my possession I certainly won't complain!

Comments

  1. The 90s had lots of starry inserts and subsets.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment