Featured Post

Blue (La Da Dee Da Da Da)

Another New 1889 Original Allen & Ginter for my Collection

Today is a big day for a few reasons.  For one, I have a brand new (to me) card from the 1889 Allen & Ginter 50 Fish from American Waters set to show off.  For non-card reasons, today is a big day because we head to the doctors to see if our baby is still in the breech position.  If he is, then my wife and I have to schedule a date for the C-section...scary, but also exciting that the little one will finally be able to open his eyes to the world within the next two weeks or so!

I don't know how much time I'll have to blog once the baby arrives (I promise not to abandon the blog entirely but I cannot promise to have at least one post every day like I've pretty much done for the last five or six years).  That said, there isn't a baby here quite yet so let's take a look at the newest addition to my baseball card collection.

That's the Carp - and for a card from 1889, the front of the card looks to be in great shape.  I love the metallic shimmer of the fish in the set...the cards truly are little masterpieces that you need to hold to appreciate fully. 

Way back when, I thought it'd be a fun idea to try and complete one of the vintage Allen & Ginter sets.  I didn't honestly expect that I'd ever actually successfully complete a set but I figured it'd give me something to browse for on eBay over the years.  While I haven't quite yet finished off the fish set, I am closer than I ever thought possible. 

In fact, now that the Carp is tucked away in my binder I am down to needing only four more fish from the set.  For something released back in 1889, I still can't get over the fact that I'm so close now!  In the off chance that someone has some of these fish cards lying around, here are the four that I'm still missing:

  • Bluefish
  • Rock Blackfish
  • Sardine 
  • Striped Bass

I'll keep an eye out for them on eBay (if my time allows) but should anyone of you happen to know where I could track down any (or all) of those please let me know!

Until then, I invite you to take a look at my full album of the set as I have it so far

Comments

  1. Wasn't aware of this project but those cards are beautiful.

    Also good luck with the Dr visit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Didn't realize how rare these were. I've been working on Flags and Birds and they're much easier to find in general.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment