Featured Post

Hot, Hot, Hot - It's a Ginter Hot Box (Part 2)

Earlier today, I started tearing into my second box of 2018 Allen & Ginter which just so happened to be a hot box (basically all glossy base cards rather than the usual base cards).  Does a hot box mean I'll also do better than usual with the promised hits?  Only one way to find out - keep ripping!

Pack 5:
147.  Walker Buehler
98.  A.J. Pollock
37.  Yu Darvish
340.  Andy Pettitte
264.  Reggie Jackson
82.  Method Man

Regular mini:
97.  Mike Piazza

Fantasy Goldmine:
FG-16.  Randy Johnson

This relatively clean looking Randy Johnson sported a 28.5 K% in his career.  That value ranks sixth all-time apparently, though I would imagine he may fall further down the ladder with today's game being so strikeout heavy.  I admit that I've grown somewhat tired of the retired legends in Allen & Ginter but the Fantasy Goldmine set has impressed me at times with some of the lesser used player selection (such as Randy).

Pack 6:
209.  Fernando Rodney
91.  Victor Caratini
285.  Jackson Stephens
61.  Randal Grichuk
242.  Yoenis Cespedes
301.  Whit Merrifield

Magnificent Moons:
MM-9.  Miranda

Regular mini:
15.  Giancarlo Stanton

Uhm, nothing much to see here since I think I've pulled that moon card three times already now. 

Pack 7:
55.  Biz Markie
75.  Christian Yelich
178.  Jon Gray
110.  Honus Wagner
186.  George Springer
271.  Jose Canseco

Fantasy Goldmine:
FG-10.  Mark McGwire

Regular mini:
143.  Hunter Pence

I guess writing these box posts goes a lot faster when I don't pull a card that I deem as scan worthy.  #lookingatthesunnysideofthings

Pack 8:
320.  Corey Dickerson
158.  Yonder Alonso
240.  Gleyber Torres
151.  Don Mattingly
103.  Lucas Sims
162.  Chipper Jones

Baseball Equipment of the Ages:
BEA-8.  Batting Gloves

Baseball Superstitions:
MBS-6.  Pre-Game Meal
That's my first Baseball Superstitions mini card this year.  The card back (predictably) mentions Wade Boggs' fired chicken fetish but it also mentions Stan Musials egg-pancake-egg (in order) meal and Justin Verlander's Taco Bell meals.  I hadn't heard of either of those two guys' quirks before - just another reason to love Ginter as you get to learn things from the most unlikely sources...about the most unlikely topics!

Interestingly, I've now ripped through an entire column in the hobby box without finding a single hit.  In the first box, there was exactly one hit in each column.  It probably doesn't mean anything but as a math guy I'm always looking for patterns.  More from this box yet to come...and as you can see, I'm starting to accummulate a fair bit of 2018 Allen & Ginter trade bait so keep me in mind if you end up with unwanted inserts, minis, or other Ginter goodies!

Comments

  1. I opened a blaster of A&G today. I posted it all and I am looking for traders.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment