Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 621: 2000 Upper Deck MVP - #158

Barry Larkin
Year:  2000
Brand:  Upper Deck MVP
Card number:  158

Looking through my Barry Larkin binder, it quickly becomes apparent that Upper Deck (in particular) really phoned in their year 2000 baseball card efforts.  In fact, outside of a few super collectors, I imagine most people would be hard-pressed to figure out what card is from what set (if the set logo wasn't present of course).  The reason is that all of the designs basically feel the same, even if there are some subtle differences. 

Truthfully, I think I prefer the MVP set as compared to many of the other 2000 offerings from Upper Deck mostly because the set was cheap to buy (if I remember correctly).  The cards couldn't have been too pricey since I did own a bunch of these as a rather poor teenager.  What I don't care for is the fact that this Larkin base card has three other parallel versions that I still need to try and track down:  a silver script, a gold script, and a super script.  I can't say for sure, but I imagine all that is different with the parallels is the color of foil used - easily a dumb, boring gimmick for a parallel (and yet another example of Upper Deck phoning it in with the set). 

Comments