Featured Post

Flashback Friday! Remember Fleer Ultra?

Back in the day (and by "back in the day" I mean the 90s), Fleer Ultra was one of my favorite "high end" brands.  In fact, I believe that Ultra was probably the highest end brand that one could easily find where I shopped for cards (mostly my local CVS).  Once Fleer bit the dust, I was sad to see Ultra die with it - but then eventually Upper Deck resurrected the Fleer Ultra brand.

Does the remix live up to the glory that was the original (at least in most years)?  Well, let's find out together as bust this pack of 2006 Upper Deck Fleer Ultra.  And if nothing else, at least each pack has an insert card*, right?

*on average. 

With only five cards in the pack, I can only assume that this was retail pack at one point.  Nonetheless, I'm still looking forward to ripping it!

2006 Fleer Ultra (by Upper Deck):

23.  Shea Hillenbrand

The card design isn't too bad here - full bleed photography and a script player name (in team colors no less).  A little too much foil for my taste but otherwise not bad. 

79.  Raul Ibanez

The backs of the cards are fairly basic fare but there's just enough team color representation to keep them looking fresh as you fan through a pack of cards.  Based on the first two cards out of the pack, the little write-ups are done well.

177.  Randy Johnson

I don't like Johnson as a Yankee.  Mostly because I don't like the Yankees.  Also because the mullet is gone.

Gold Medallion parallel:  142.  Wily Mo Pena

Fleer Ultra used to have Gold Medallion parallels - and that's what I assume this card is despite it not saying "gold medallion" anywhere that I could find.  Pena was a guy with big time power - but he had trouble connecting with the baseball.  As a Reds fan, he is probably best remembered for being the key piece of a trade that brought Bronson Arroyo over to the Reds (one of the best trades from the Reds' perspective in my lifetime).

Home Run Kings:  HRK4.  Alex Rodriguez

When you get only five cards in a pack, having two of them be of the Yankees variety is a kick in the nut sack.  That said, the simplistic design of the Home Run Kings insert (my one promised insert in the pack) is actually kind of nice and refreshing.  I am particularly happy to report that there is no foil at all on the card (not even the Fleer Ultra logo).

And there you have it - 2006 Fleer Ultra by Upper Deck.  I'm not keeping any of these for myself so if you see something you want, holler at me.

Comments

  1. Wily Mo was a beast. Oh, what could have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss Fleer products in general, but Ultra was always great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not my favorite Ultra set, but I too always liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't classify Ultra as one of my favorite product lines... but I gotta admit... 1992 Ultra was fantastic. I spent a lot of money trying to build a master set.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment