Featured Post

30 Teams in 30 Posts: #26

I'm ranking all 30 of the MLB teams in order of how much I like them at this moment in time.  As with most countdowns, I'm starting with the worst (Cardinals) and I'll eventually end up with the best (Reds).  The real question now is, where will the other MLB teams land in my countdown?

Today, we take a look at the final team in my bottom five of my favorite MLB teams.

#26:  Boston Red Sox

Like most fans of small market teams, I get annoyed with the big market teams seemingly going out and buying whoever they want.  The Yankees did that for years and years, but more recently teams like the Red Sox, Nationals, and even the Dodgers have done similar things.  It's probably no surprise then that three of the four teams I just mentioned landed in my bottom five (and as for the Dodgers, you'll probably see them on this list sooner rather than later as well).

The Red Sox aren't nearly as unlikable as the Yankees - and truthfully, Boston probably could have made it much higher up my list if it weren't for the likes of companies like ESPN constantly trying to shove the Yankees/Red Sox rivalry down our collective throats.  Over the years, Boston has had a number of players that I've enjoyed watching such as David Ortiz, Pedro Martinez, and even Manny being Manny.

Besides the big market stuff and the oversaturation of the Red Sox brand on TV and the like, the other reason that Boston lands so low on my list is the World Series.  More specifically, the World Series game between Boston and Cincinnati where Fisk hit (and then willed) that game winning home run.

My problem isn't with that World Series (the Reds ended up winning the whole thing in Game 7) but rather it's Fisk that gets all the glory for the '75 series despite his team losing to my Reds.  (I should note that I wasn't born during the '75 Series so my view is definitely slanted but the perception remains...and as they say, perception is reality).


My list of favorite MLB teams (from worst to first):
#30:  St. Louis Cardinals (post)
#29:  New York Yankees (post)
#28:  San Francisco Giants (post)
#27:  Washington Nationals (post)
#26:  Boston Red Sox
to be continued...

Comments

  1. Wow, the Cubs didn't make the bottom five. I'm a bit flabbergasted by this development.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have an explanation...stay tuned!

      Delete
  2. As Fisk always said, the Red Sox won the '75 World Series, three games to four!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont blame you for disliking the big market teams. I have to say that I preferred the 2013 Red Sox team to this one, not just because Dustin Pedroia didn't play, but because this season's Sox were built on big-money acquisitions. It's disorienting to have the league's highest payroll and still call NY the "Evil Empire"..but it sure beats losing heartbreakers like in '75.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually can't stand high payroll franchises... but the rule doesn't apply to the Red Sox. I dislike the Yankees so much, that I actually enjoy it when their rivals win.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment