Featured Post

The "C" Word.

About three weeks ago now, I started having headaches.  Now, I get headaches fairly often (work, stress, weather, sinus, etc.) so I didn't think much of it at first.  However, after three straight days of the same headache, I began to get a bit concerned.

The next day, I woke up in the middle of the night with what can only be described as night sweats.  From there on for the rest of the week it was the same thing, headache during the day, night sweats at night.  Rinse, repeat.

I'm not one for going to the doctor if I can help it, but I'm also not keen on waking up in a pile of sweat each night (nor having never ending headaches).  By the end of the first week of the ordeal, it was clear I needed to see a professional.

The doctor who saw me was instantly concerned and had my blood drawn immediately for lab testing.  This was the first bit of scary news as I had only ever had blood drawn once before (for a cholesterol check a couple of years ago).

Of course, with medicine you have to wait a lot and so it took a day or so before my results were ready.  The verdict?  My doctor said I must come back in later in the week and that he was worried.  I didn't exactly know how worried (naive me didn't want to ask I guess).

A few days later, I'm at the appointment and he's going through the usual exam stuff when he drops the "C" word on me.  He told me that my symptoms could all still be explained by some sort of particularly nasty virus.  But that the symptoms also could explained by cancer, perhaps something like Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

Now, no one ever wants to hear that they might have cancer.  An otherwise healthy 36-year-old with a 9-month-old baby and loving wife really doesn't want to hear the word cancer so you can imagine my immediate reaction.  At that appointment the doctor actually sent me directly over to the nearby hospital for more blood work, a chest x-ray, and a urinalysis.

The doctor knew I was nervous about things so luckily he got the results back fairly quickly.  Essentially nothing out of the ordinary on the x-ray and urinalysis but my blood was showing a number of irregularities that he couldn't explain (and my symptoms weren't improving on their own).

A few days later, nothing changed on my end so another doctor's appointment, another round of basic checks (no change to any of my vitals), and then the doctor basically told me that he was out of his element. 

Whatever I had, he couldn't diagnose. 

He did know, however, that my numbers were super worrisome to him and so he called an oncologist friend while I sat and waited.

Next thing I know, I have an appointment at the local Cancer Center.

Unfortunately, the story ends here for now. 

That Cancer Center appointment is scheduled for later today.  In some ways, simply writing it all out was cathartic I guess.  At this point in time, I keep telling myself that it's all okay, that I have some sort of nasty virus that will eventually leave my system.  I mean, what else can I do right now?  Hopefully the appointment goes (went?) well and that I'll eventually have some good news to share here.

Until then, don't feel sorry for me (I'm still convinced I'll be okay in the end) but do please go tell your loved ones how you feel about them.  Seriously, even if you think they already know.  I'm as guilty as anyone in terms of not telling people how I feel about them enough.  That all changes real quick (let me tell you) when you try to have a "normal" weekend with your baby and wife all while wondering how the upcoming appointment at the Cancer Center will go. 

No matter how this episode ends for me, it's been a sobering reminder about how frail life can be.  Sure, we all get caught up in the day-to-day but sometimes it's a good idea to have that big picture reminder.  We are all on this planet but for the briefest portion of second (in geological time terms), make it count - but make it count for everyone who you care about around you as well.  I don't even care that that final sentence was perhaps the cheesiest line I've ever written on a blog named after fake cheese.  The sentiment is real, even if my wordsmith skills are not.


Comments

  1. Oh my. That’s definitely quite a shock. You have the love and support of all of us out here, though (I am totally qualified to speak for everyone on this matter), so know that. And know that whatever it is, it can be figured out and this will pass. We’re all in your corner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, dude, that's scary, so good luck with your diagnosis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a cancer survivor, this hits close to home. I remember the tests, the diagnosis, the underlying fear. Like you, I was a new father. That was 10 years ago. Whatever ends up happening, you've got a lot of people in your corner. If you need a sounding board, I'm available. Until then, you're in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, that's no good at all. Yes, Bru is totally qualified to speak for us all, because I'm sure we are all behind you like he says. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that's a buzzkill. But seriously, we hope it's just the docs thinking worst case. All the best to you.
    I was waiting for the punch line - C for cholestorol or cardboard or something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best to you Chris! Best to your wife and child to. I can't imagine what she's going through too. I pray that your headaches are gone as soon as today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes, I hope everything works out ok. We're all rooting for you! All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bru does speak for us all. I just was diagnosed last year with cancer and had treatment and am cancer free now. It is scary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Boy. My first thought of the "C" word was card related like "Crease". Then quickly realized it was THAT "C" word. Wow. Tough news, especially with the uncertainty about "what" it is exactly. Hopefully the correct diagnosis will be made. Of course the early discovery of it is always a good sign on the dark desert highway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Chris. You will be in my thoughts. Hopefully you hear some good news. Stay strong

    ReplyDelete
  11. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Maybe you will get some good news. Keep your head up and keep strong!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll be thinking of you and wishing you the best. Whatever happens. Good luck, man.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Get well soon! (even if it's just a virus!) Hope it's not cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am wishing the best for you, whether it's a virus or cancer or some other thing. That's a tough journey to go on, and it seems like they leave plenty of time between appointments for you to stew on your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Will be thinking of you. Please take care of you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Best of luck with diagnosis and hang in there until the meantime. The not knowing part would be the worst for me. Once I know what the problem is then I can start on the road to fixing it... it's the not knowing that really stresses me out.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, echoing the sentiments of everyone else, hoping for the best.
    Much younger in my life, close to 30 years, I went to the Dr. with the absolute worst headache of my life, ruling out cancer was the first step in my diagnosis of migraines! (which I still get now).
    My first experience with night sweats still haunts me to this day! It followed my appendicitis which the surgeon explained away with "Oh. I didn't tell you, when you were on the table for the cat-scan, your appendix ruptured!" Infections are nasty little buggers to get rid of!!
    Fast forward (or please be kind and rewind to last year) I go in for my first annual "you've now turned the big Five-O" and need a complete physical. My regular Dr. tells me some numbers are off in my blood work and wants me to go see a Urologist. I think ABSOLUTELY nothing of it until I reach the urologist's office and it's at the Cancer Center of Tidewater!! Where the first thing I am told is that the numbers in question CAN indicate prostate cancer, followed by this cancer has the best mortality rate when diagnosed and treated early. Three nervous/scary months and one totally uncomfortable procedure/test later, we find nothing!
    They then say I can come back in a year for re-scan, or they'd feel more comfortable if I'd come back in 6 months for the first re-scan... hell yeah, I'll see you in 6 months!
    Here's to hoping you have a virus or infection, but as with everything, early detection is the key.
    Things will be fine Chris... you shouldn't worry too much until there is something to worry about. Good luck, go hug that baby and it's momma a little closer tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We're hoping for the best for you, Chris. fwiw, I'm impressed that you took the time to write this post, one of the most profound I've ever read. I especially like the last paragraph. We hope the doctors can help you get rid of the symptoms and the cause.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you, one and all. I appreciate all the kind words. I still have no answers but I do have another appointment for blood work tomorrow and then a bone marrow appt. during my spring break from work... Scary stuff though I'm holding out hope that it is still ultimately nothing serious.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Holy smokes, I'm just seeing this (dealing with family health issues of my own). Good luck and I'm thinking about you. I went through a good 40 years of my life without anyone close to me receiving major health news like this. Now I'm dealing with diabetes and Alzheimer's and blood tests are as common as washing the car. Hope whatever it is, it's as manageable as my sobering medical news a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment