Featured Post

Flashback Friday! A Entire Vintage (?) Box is Mine, Mine, Mine!

A few days ago, I talked about how I sorted through my entire stack of 1992 baseball cards.  As part of my sorting process, I had to decide which sets (if any) from the year to keep and try and collect in full.  As you may recall, I decided to attempt to build two of the sets:  1992 Topps and 1992 Upper Deck. 

After writing that post, I did a quick eBay search and found an entire unopened box of 1992 Upper Deck available for less than the price of a blaster (even factoring in shipping).  I may not have yet bought any new 2019 products, but I did decide to break the spending seal and splurge on that box of Upper Deck.

A few short days later and the box showed up in my mailbox.  Feeling the weight of the box, I definitely miss the days when boxes of cards were actually full of, you know, cards.  Each pack within the box contains 36 packs with 15 cards in each pack so I'm hopeful that this box will get me most of the way towards filling up my set.

Once I manage to get the entire box ripped and sorted, I'll have to be sure to update my want list with whatever cards remain.  I think I'll work on finishing off 1992 Upper Deck before I start in on 1992 Topps, too much to sort at once otherwise!

My goal is to slowly open up this box on the blog.  I don't plan on typing up every single card but I would like to show some love to an older set so I think I'll show off the highlight(s) from each pack as I rip through the box.  Hopefully that will make for interesting reading for all of you and keep me motivated to continue ripping through the box while also making blog posts.  Going a bit slower will also give me a chance to keep things sorted as I go rather than ripping through the entire box first and then having the terrible task of sorting all the cards at the end.

Ready for some old school fun?  Me too!

Pack 1:
655.  Nolan Ryan

The top card out of the first pack was Nolan Ryan staring out at me.  Most likely he was happy to finally be free of the foil wrapper that's encased him since 1992!

Pack 2:
Baseball Heroes:  29.  Ted Williams

I always loved Upper Deck's Baseball Heroes sets so I'm happy to get this card in the box (even if it doesn't inch me any closer to completing the base set).  Pack 2 also had my first Red of the box (Jeff Reed) and a pair (!) of checklists.  It's worth noting that the checklists are numbered as part of the base set so I guess I'm glad to get them even if it feels a bit underwhelming to pull a checklist card (or two).

Back to the Ted Williams Baseball Heroes set, there are apparently 2500 Ted Williams autographs seeded throughout the Upper Deck print run.  According to a quick eBay search, the Williams autographs still sell for pretty decent money...how cool would it be to pull one of those in this old box?  It's virtually impossible, but the dream is fun!

Pack 3:
689.  Chris Gwynn

One of the main reasons that I decided to collect 1992 Upper Deck was that I loved many of the photographs used in the set.  The Chris Gwynn card above is an excellent example of some of the photography in the set.  Great stuff! 

78.  Jim Abbott

I also had to show off this Jim Abbott "If you can understand this...you can understand this:  Be Cool Stay in School." card.  Not because of the message (though I agree with it), but rather because look at that early 90s computer (and hair)!  I can't say I'm totally convinced that Abbott actually understands whatever it is that is on the computer screen, but the message is clear enough.  This card is also numbered as part of the base set - one of the quirky things scattered about the set!

I think if I do about three packs per post that'll feel about right in terms of scanning requirements and sorting time on my end.  Hopefully that is also enough to keep everyone interested without having people end up being sick of 1992 Upper Deck!  I can tell you already that I'm going to have a bunch of duplicates when all is said and done, so if anyone else out there is interested in the set let me know!

Comments

  1. Damn. Ryan looks like he's staring right into your soul.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment