Featured Post

Delivery Time! A Big Trade Shows Up!

Last week, I received a fairly large trade envelope from blog reader Bob.  Bob and I swapped a bunch of cards from the other person's want list which made for a great trade.  However, since I received so many cards from so many different sets, I thought I'd try something a little different this time around.  Rather than have one big post, I'm going to split the trade up into the various sets that were represented AND I'll take the opportunity to discuss each set in question and explain my thought process in terms of why I decided to collect the set.

To start us off, we begin with a set that Bob only sent me two cards from - but that's quite alright since I'm now only missing five cards from the set:  2000 Topps.

The 2000 Topps set has five different players featured as part of the Magic Moments subset in both Series 1 and then again in Series 2.  Annoyingly, each player has five different versions of their card produced - but a set is apparently considered complete if you have a single card for each player (rather than all five versions) and so that's what I aim to do.  As such, this Magic Moments card of Alex Rodriguez means there's one less person for me track down.

Bob also sent along a "regular" base card of Shannon Stewart leaving me with only needing five cards to complete my set:
2000 Topps Wants:Base:  84, 237, 370, 449, 478
So, why collect 2000 Topps?

There are a couple of reasons for why I decided to collect the 2000 Topps set beginning with the fact that this is one set that I bought quite a few cards of back in 2000.  That was actually somewhat rare for me since 2000 was the year before I graduated high school (and thus a lot of my spending money went towards things that were decidedly not baseball cards)!  Still, I did buy a fair bit of Topps flagship and so the set is special to me for that reason.

The second reason that I am collecting the set is perhaps equally important (if not more important), I love the design of the set on both the front and the back of the card.  The 2000 set has a few photography gems scattered throughout it and I like the simple design of the card.  I love the team logo (but I could do without the foil nameplate if I was nitpicking).  I also like the colorful backs (complete with a second photo) and the card numbers are easy to read (great for set collectors).

All in all, 2000 Topps won't blow the shoes or socks off of anyone but it's a solid little set.  It's also a set that reminds me of my pre-college days which is a fun little bonus.

Does anyone out there have any of the five remaining cards that I need?  According to baseballcardpedia, the cards are:
84.  Joe Girardi
237.  Hank Aaron (Magic Moments, any will do)
370.  Tino Martinez
449.  Chance Myers / Josh Hamilton (Draft Picks)
478.  Derek Jeter (Magic Moments, any will do)

(5/10/19):  Edit:  I have worked out a trade for cards 370 and 449.  Only three more remain for me to track down before I can call this set complete!

I guess I can understand why three of the five cards have remained elusive via trades (though I don't believe that a Josh Hamilton psuedo-rookie card is worth squat these days).  Maybe someone out there can help me out with the final five cards - I certainly have plenty of trade bait to offer in return!  I would love to be able to knock this set off of my want list once and for all this year, especially since one of my 2019 Blog Resolutions is to get my want list whittled down to 100 sets or less by year's end.

Comments