Featured Post

Flashback Friday: A Wax Pack from 1989

About a week or so ago, I won a great prize courtesy of Dennis over at Too Many Verlanders.  He bought a bunch of those Wal-Mart grab bag things that are making their way across the blogs.  He ended up busting a ton of packs during a live video while also giving away door prizes.  I was the lucky winner of the big prize - a whole slew of unopened packs from various years out of that Wal-Mart bunch.

Today, I'm featuring the pack that might be most exciting: 1989 Donruss.  Why?  Because there could be a Ken Griffey, Jr. rookie card in that pack and I have yet to own my own Griffey rookie card (seriously, it's a major "hole" in my collection considering the era that I grew up during)!

Let's rip in and see what we get! 

Here are the cards (in the order they appear in the pack).

1989 Donruss:
Puzzle pieces 40-42
Barry Larkin

Alright!  I have a bunch of copies of this Larkin already BUT I'll never grow tired of pulling a Barry Larkin card out of a pack.  Considering this is the first true card of the pack, I'd say this pack was made for me.

Shane Rawley
Roberto Alomar
Jim Deshaies
Howard Johnson
Greg Harris
Paul Kilgus
Andy Van Slyke

I remember thinking that these MVP cards were pretty cool back in the day.  See, kids don't need shiny foil and twitter handles are their baseball cards to enjoy them.

Tim Burke
Terry Steinbach
Floyd Bannister
Tom Candiotti
Fernando Valenzuela

This would have been a pretty good pull back in 1989.

Rickey Henderson
Dwight Evans


Well, no Griffey rookie (story of my life) but overall that was still a rather nice pack!  Thanks for that Dennis (plus the other 49 or so packs you sent my way)!  I'll definitely be showing off more of the packs at some point in the future.

Comments

  1. I picked up the same Walmart pack bundles and received 2 packs of 89D and 2 packs of 89B. Sure hoping I pull a Griffey in one of my packs since I didn't find anything too significant in my newer packs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment