Featured Post

(Even) Better Know a Blogger: Wrigley Wax

Welcome to (Even) Better Know a Blogger week!  Each day this week, my goal is to publish an interview with a fellow blogger.  To be included, bloggers had to email me for a questionnaire, fill it out, and then email it back to me.  Simple!  I think many of us enjoyed getting to know fellow bloggers back when I ran a similar feature a number of years ago...and I'm happy to report that some of the same people that participated back then joined up this time around as well!  Let's get to it!

1.       Your name (or alias if preferred): 
Paul Kosman

2.       Your blog website: 
Wrigley Wax

3.       Your social media handle(s):
Twitter - @wrigleywax - though I never post

4.       What are your favorite sport teams?
The Chicago teams (except the White Sox) - Cubs, Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks

5.       What kind of collector do you consider yourself to be (team collector, player collector, set collector, etc.).  Why do you collect that way?
I'm a hybrid.  I collect Cubs sets, Topps complete sets, and have player collections of five players (Ernie Banks, Darwin Barney, Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, and Billy Williams.  I get the Cubs and players because I'm a Cub fan.   The Topps sets are from every year I collected, starting in 1969, which satisfies my sense of nostalgia.

6.       What is your favorite item in your collection?
My favorite item is the set of autographs from 2004 Fleer Greats of the Game. The set includes Ernie Banks, Andre Dawson, Mark Grace, Randy Hundley, Fergie Jenkins, Gary Matthews, Ryne Sandberg, Ron Santo, Bruce Sutter, and Billy Williams - that's just about every great Cub from the '60s through the 80s.

7.       If you could add any one card to your collection (that you don’t currently own), what card would it be and why?
It's not an expensive or well known item, but the 1973 Jewel Foods Jim Hickman - It is the only Jewel card I'm missing and I haven't seen one listed anywhere for at least five years.

8.       Thinking back to when you first started collecting, how have your habits changed (if at all)?  Any ideas why?  
I can afford to get things that cost more than a nickel, which was the price of a pack of five cards when I started!

9.       If an alien being came down from the stars and forced you to describe yourself using no more than three cards as talking points, how would you do it?  

  • 1954 Topps Ernie Banks - I'm a Cub fan and he is Mr. Cub
  • 2004 Greats of the Game Autograph Billy Williams - the autograph of my favorite Cub
  • 2016 Topps World Series Blister set #15 - I waited my entire life for this!


10.   If you could give any of the major sport card companies one piece of advice about something you’d like changed (or perhaps simply continued) what would it be?
Proofread you cards!  The errors they make drive me crazy!

11.   Where do you live?  What is your favorite local food?
I live in Sturgis, Michigan.  My favorite local food is an 8 oz. sirloin at a local restaurant, DaVincis.

12.   If someone were to visit you, what place (within an hour of travel from your residence) would you suggest someone be sure to check out?
Shipshewana, Indiana is a small town about 25 minutes from our house.  It has a large Amish population and the town is full of craft shops.  They also have a huge flea market twice a week.

13.   What is your profession?  How did you end up there?  If you are in school, what do you plan to major in and/or what job do you hope to get after graduating?
I'm the principal of Trinity Lutheran School in Sturgis.  I'll be starting my 37th year in education in the fall.  I knew since about 5th or 6th grade that I wanted to be a teacher.

14.   Do you have any hobbies besides card collecting?
I do some woodworking and Mrs. WW and I enjoy riding our bicycles all over.

15.   Tell me something interesting about yourself that hasn’t been covered in the first 14 questions!
Mrs. WW and I have each lost 60 pounds over the past 14 months on the Keto diet.  We feel great!


------------------------

A whole lot of great answers from Paul!  Paul's love of the Cubs has always been apparent through his blog but I definitely respect his fandom in the card choices he made for question #9.  That Cubs' celebration card has to be awesome if you are a Cubs' fan (of course, if you are a fan of a different NL Central team you might have other opinions about the card but that's neither here nor there right now).

Personally, I do like hearing what everyone's profession is - we certainly have quite a few bloggers who are in education to some extent (including myself I might add).  I'd love to learn more about Paul's woodworking too since that's something that I dabble in as well!

Thanks for taking the time to answer the interview questions, Paul!  I still have more interviews to go in my (Even) Better Know a Blogger series so keep it tuned to the blog this week!

Comments

  1. Those are some great answers! I'm really enjoying this series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to visit Shipshewana with my grandparents when I was younger. It's a small world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shipshewana, Indiana has officially been added to my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment