Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 680: 2002 Donruss Studio - #18

Barry Larkin
Year:  2002
Brand:  Donruss Studio
Card number:  18

The 2002 Donruss Studio set is immediately striking thanks to the American flag imagery.  While it may seem like overkill by today's design standards, it is worth nothing that 2002 was the year after the attacks on New York City.  Heck, Donruss was probably in the middle of designing the 2002 Studio set when 9/11 occurred.  I don't think it's coincidence then that Donruss went super patriotic.

As for Larkin's card itself, it's easily one of the most patriotic looking Barry Larkin cards in my collection (which makes it a perfect card to post for the 4th of July celebration weekend)!  I kind of dig the old film strip design on the front of the card (but the same film strip at a strange diagonal on the backside of the card doesn't appeal to me nearly as much).  I like the little write-up for Larkin and (as always) I appreciate having a team logo on the front of the card.

According to baseballpedia, there are three parallels for me to track down for this card including Proof (#/100), All-Star Game Logo (print run unknown), and Chicago National (#/5).  In addition, Barry shows up in the Studio Stars insert set - and that insert set has two parallels (Gold, #/250 and Platinum, #50) - and in the Private Signings autograph set for which Barry autographed only 25 copies of his card.

That's a lot of stuff to track down from the set - but with most of it being quite rare, I highly doubt I'll ever be able to say that my 2002 Donruss Studio Larkin collection is complete!

Comments