Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 683: 2002 Donruss Originals - #296

Barry Larkin
Year:  2002
Brand:  Donruss Originals
Card number:  296

Yesterday, I showcased the first card that I owned from the 2002 Donruss Originals set and in that post I discussed the 14 (!) different Barry Larkins in the set.  Today, we take a look at the second card that I own - the 1986 base design version.  As I mentioned yesterday, as of this moment I don't own any of the other 12 Larkin cards in the set - a total which includes two more run-of-the-mill base cards, two sample cards, four parallels, one regular insert, and three relics.

As for today's card itself, it's very much classic Donruss.  The blue backs, the five years of career stats, the card number in a little baseball...it's all there, it's all classic, and...well...I feel like I've said all that I can about this design over the years!  The team logo on the backside of the card strikes me as a newer element though I could be wrong about that (I'd have to dig up some old 1986 Donruss cards to check which I'm not keen on doing tonight)! 

Despite the plethora of Larkin cards in the set, I still kind of like the concept.  Donruss Originals is basically the same thing as Topps Archives except Donruss featured the same players over and over within the set, something that Topps doesn't usually do.


Comments