Featured Post

2019 Resolutions: Check-In #4

Now that we are back into another "odd" month (September is the ninth month of the year), it's time for my bi-monthly check-in on my 2019 Blog Resolutions (you can read my last check-in from back in July here).  As usual, I'll go through each of my original resolutions and then grade myself on how I'm doing in terms of completing them successfully.

#1:  Barry Larkin Collection

My original goal here was to have at least 700 unique Larkin cards scanned and written about on my blog prior to the end of 2019.  I haven't quite hit 700 yet BUT I did post card #692 this past weekend.  That means I only need to write eight more Larkin Collection posts over the next four months.  That's definitely doable and in fact, I think this goal should be complete by the time my next Resolution Check-in post comes around (which should be in early November).  Check-in status:  Almost complete!

#2:  Blog Trading

For trading, my original goal was to send out 50 trades.  I'm currently sitting in the mid-30s which puts me a bit behind my goal (especially now that the one new set I was sure to buy has been released...and now mostly forgotten, that being Allen & Ginter of course).  On the bright side, I did basically double my trade output for the year between April and now (at my last resolution check-in I had only completed 16 trades).  Check-in status:  Behind but not defeated yet

#3:  The Want List

This is definitely the goal that I'm being most vocal about - my desire to get my want list down to a much more reasonable size (in this case, 100 different sets or fewer).  Unfortunately, with the release of Allen & Ginter (and me wanting to collect it all), I actually added more sets to my want over the last period than I took off my want list.  Whoops.  Check-in status:  Went backwards, much work to do yet.

#4:  The Great Reorganization
So much to still sort and organize on this table!

You'll notice a bit of a theme this year in that I definitely wanted to my card collection back under control.  Believe it or not, in the past couple of months I actually made a little bit of tiny progress on this front.  I ended up (finally) getting my 2006 Fleer Greats of the Game cards in a binder and, simultaneously, I figured out exactly what cards from the insert sets that I still needed.  My table of unsorted cards is still a wreck, just slightly less of a wreck than it was a couple of months ago.  Check-in status:  It wasn't a lot of progress, but some progress is better than none.  D+

#5:  My LEGO blog

My goal at the outset of 2019 was to complete 50 posts on my LEGO blog.  At my last check-in, I had only written 9 posts.  Now, with 3/4 of the year completed, I've written a total of 14 posts.  It's safe to say that I definitely won't reach 50 posts this year on that blog.  I think a new, revised (but still ambitious) goal is to get to 20 posts before the end of the year.  Check-in status:  Original goal almost assuredly failed.

#6:  Reading

For my reading goal, my target was to finish 12 books by the end of 2019.  A book a month may not sound like a lot to some of you, but for me it'd be more than double my reading output from the last few years.  As of a couple of days ago, I'm now able to happily report that I finished my twelfth book of the year!   If you are interested in what I've been reading, I did post my first reading list of 2019 here.  I hope to do another post or two highlighting the remaining books I read, especially since the twelfth book that I just finished was one of, if not the, best baseball book I've ever read.  More on that in the future!  Check-in status:  FINISHED!

And that's it.  Six resolutions and with basically four months remaining in the year I've now finished one and another is nearly complete.  One I have almost no chance of completing (the LEGO posts) and the others could still go either way.  If nothing else, I'm hoping by the next check-in that I'll be able to say I wrote at least eight more Barry Larkin Collection posts and hopefully added a few more posts over on my LEGO blog.  I'm also still working hard on the whole want list/set collecting front, so if you have anything that I need let me know! 

Comments

  1. Lego blog aside, glad to see all your other resolutions progressing well. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think knowing the fact that I've committed to doing one of these Resolution Recaps every couple of months has definitely helped to keep me "on track" for the year.

      Delete
  2. Man... I love your Lego posts. Even if you don't reach your goal, I appreciate every single one you write. By the way... I finally built my San Francisco set last night. Love those Architecture sets.

    P.S. Seeing that table with all of those cards makes me feel a little better about my messy office with stacks of cards all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That table has been a giant thorn in my side in terms of getting my collection under control. There's some good stuff on it, but the motivation to actually sort (and put in binders) is sorely lacking on my part. At least I did get rid of some of the cards over the last couple of months - at this point, even the babiest of steps I'll take as a positive.

      Delete
    2. Also, I appreciate the kind words about the LEGO blog. That blog doesn't generate much traffic at all and yet most of the posts take MUCH longer to write, photograph, etc. It's good to know that someone enjoys what I put out there.

      Delete

Post a Comment