Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 702: 2002 Leaf Rookies and Stars - #141

Barry Larkin
Year:  2002
Brand:  Leaf Rookies and Stars
Card number:  141

The 2002 Leaf Rookies and Stars set features nice team-specific coloring as part of the set design, a little touch that I definitely appreciate.  That said, to me the design of this particular set reminds me of late 90s Upper Deck designs...and that's not exactly a good thing (though at least Leaf gives you full career statistics, something Upper Deck rarely does). 

The rest of the card is fairly plain and unfortunately there's a base parallel of this card (called Longevity and #/100) that I still need to track down.  Barry is also part of the Great American Signings insert set where he signed 25 copies of his autograph insert card (those aren't serially numbered, however).  I don't necessarily plan on trying to track down every card for which there were 25 (or fewer) copies created but I wouldn't turn down Larkin's autograph if I had the opportunity to acquire it either! 

All things told, the Rookies and Stars set is perfectly adequate for a base set but the 100 rookie cards that are short printed might make you think twice about trying to actually collect the entire 400 card base set (you'd need 200 packs with perfect collation just to get all 100 rookie cards)!  I think I'll stick with getting just the couple of Barry Larkin cards, thank you very much.

Comments

  1. I'm not really a fan myself either, but then again I never was when it came to Rookies & Stars. Just another one of those "I collect this dude, so I guess I'll get this one" cards!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment