Featured Post

Spoils from Another "Hits Only" Group Break (I Got Lucky this Time!)

Last week, I showed off what I walked away with from a "hits only" group break of 2019 Topps Archives Signature Edition (Retired Players).  I was happy to have gotten something for entering the break but there's no doubt that a Rays autograph is barely one step above "nothing."

That experience probably should have been enough to keep me from joining in any other "hits only" breaks but I'm a slow learner!  A couple of days later, I joined in another Iron Lion break on Facebook, this time for a case of 2019 Topps Clearly Authentic.

As before, a spot in the break got you two random teams but this time I avoided getting the dreaded Rays.  Instead, the group break gods decided to gift me with the Seattle Mariners and the Chicago White Sox.  Neither team was in my top 10 choices but both teams had the possibility of getting an autograph that I would consider keeping (Frank Thomas and Ichiro) so I didn't end up trading either of my teams...and that proved to be a good move on my part since both teams got an autograph out of the case!

First, for the Seattle Mariners:  A Justus Sheffield black border autograph numbered 55/75.

I have to say, the base cards are super cool.  I love the acetate card stock - fitting for the set name of "Clearly" Authentic.  Getting a black bordered autograph parallel is a fun thing, even if Sheffield isn't exactly going to break the bank...or really even come close to paying for my group break spot.  That said, he wasn't the only hit that I got.

My other hit was much better!  This one saved the break for me - and it belongs to the Chicago White Sox but it's not Frank Thomas like I was originally hoping for. 

Instead, I ended up with one of the amazing T206 mini autograph of Eloy Jimenez numbered 61/99.

As always with group breaks like this, it's a big gamble as to whether you'll even get a single card, let alone a card of value.  I felt lucky ending up with two autographs and even luckier getting that awesome mini autograph!  Unfortunately for me, neither card is actually something that fits into my collection so both have ended up on eBay - the real test I guess will be to see how much money I'll end up making/losing when all is said and done.

Comments

  1. Congratulations on landing two autographs! Hope they sell for good money on The Bay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopefully you'll post an update after they sell, as it would be interesting to know how you did.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment