Featured Post

Blue (La Da Dee Da Da Da)

Barry Larkin Collection 707: 2002 Topps Ten - #113

Barry Larkin
Year:  2002
Brand:  Topps Ten
Card number:  113

I never much cared for the look of the Topps Ten set back when I first saw the set but now, years later, the design has grown on me a bit.  In particular, I actually like the "countdown" elements that are plastered all over the card, even if it does make the card a bit busier than I'd usually prefer.  I think this could have been a great set if the base cards had a bit more color to them and think that's what I didn't like originally, it's all too drab!

As for Barry, he makes the cut here as the #2 player (tied with McGwire and Griffey Jr.) who had the most All-Star appearances among active players in 2001. 

What I didn't know about this set until now is that the Topps Ten set was a retail only set.  In addition, the entire set has a die-cut parallel version of each card (I don't yet own the Larkin parallel if you are wondering).  There are also a number of relics and autographs in the set but Barry isn't featured in any of those which means I only need to track down the die-cut parallel of the base card and I'll have everything I need from this little set!

Comments