Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 708: 2002 Upper Deck 40 Man - #957

Barry Larkin
Year:  2002
Brand:  Upper Deck 40-Man
Card number:  957

I'm fairly certain that this is the only Barry Larkin card that I own that has a card number in the 900s!  Perhaps even more amazing, there are 200+ more cards in the set after Larkin's.  In total, the base set has 1182 cards which is absolutely bonkers.  Knowing that, you can hardly blame Upper Deck for basically "mailing it in" in terms of the card design, information, and write-up since they had to make almost 1200 cards.  The image on the front is recycled on the back and you only get a single year's worth of stats which is disappointing.  Furthermore, there is not write-up to speak of, only Larkin's vitals.  I do like the team logo on the front and back but otherwise this is a pretty dull card (I don't like the vertical last name on the card front at all, that has to be mentioned)!

Now, collecting a 1182 card set sounds insane and I doubt anyone actually tried to do so for this set...but if you really want to talk about crazy, you could go after the 1182 card parallel set called Electric.  Or, if you are certifiably insane, you could go for the 1182 card parallel set called Electric Diamond where each card is serially-numbered out of a mere 40 copies!

Oh, and did I mention that Barry has a second base card in the set (and that card also has the two parallels)?  Yikes, that's a lot more to track down (I actually own the other base card in the set but I don't own any of the parallels for either base card)!

Comments

  1. Those fronts definitely aren't extremely creative but I still really like them, especially when the colors work so well like they do here. I also like the occasional non-glossy design and the occasional huge set like this and Topps Total can be fun. I know what you mean about the parallels, though!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment