Featured Post

Delivery Time! Want List Goodies from Bob

For the past several weeks now, I've actually been 100% caught up on trade posts for the blog.  That's kind of rare for me but I have to admit that I like being caught up!  For one, it means I've given proper thanks to everyone who has sent me stuff but it also means that my want list is up-to-date and thus I won't trade for the same card twice (or more)!

In an effort to stay caught up, today's post is brought to you by blog reader Bob who sent me a package of cards that arrived a mere two days ago.  Bob and I have sent a couple of packages back and forth now but this one might take the cake as the best of the bunch so far!

The reason why it might be the best?  Easy.  Bob hit a bunch of my needs off of my want list - and the closer I can creep to getting any set completed, the better!

I won't scan every card in the package but I will scan all of the 1998 and 1999 Fleer Sports Illustrated cards sent my way because they are some of the nicest cards of the late 90s!

I know a lot of people wax poetic about Upper Deck (and don't get me wrong, UD did have some nice sets) but I think I actually miss Fleer more than Upper Deck!  Fleer of the late 90s was fun...but unfortunately for fans of that company, Fleer became mired in monotony (and so, so many monotonous sets) by the early 00s and then before you knew it Fleer was out of business.

Besides the Fleer SI cards, Bob also helped me out with three other sets by getting me one card closer to completion for each.

If I'm being honest, there's a decent chance that I give up on the 2000 Metal set as that design no longer interests me (and the Prospect short print cards aren't really worth tracking down) but for now the set remains on my want list.  The other two sets are definitely sets that I hope to finish someday, especially the 2001 Stadium Club set, one of my favorite years for the brand of all-time!

And finally, speaking of Upper Deck a bit ago, Bob hooked me up with a nice sized stack of 1992 Upper Deck base cards for my set.  Out of the pile, my favorites were definitely the following two:

That Turk Wendell card is fantastic - it might be the only instance that I have of a player brushing his teeth on a baseball card!  The Eichhorn is also fantastic, but for different reasons.  It looks like he is taking part in some pre-game signing sessions for the armed services, pretty cool.

Bob also included a bunch of Barry Larkin cards for me but those will get their own chance to shine as part of my ongoing Barry Larkin Collection (in due time)! 

Thanks for the great envelope of goodies, Bob!  I very much appreciate all the set help!

And with that, let me wish all of you a Happy Thanksgiving and we'll see you back on the blogs soon, yeah?

Comments

  1. Turk Wendell doing Turk Wendell things is always fun to see, but that Eichhorn card looks like it could be from the early 1960s or something. And I'm kinda tired of UD, the last year or two of their baseball sets were either boring or blatant Topps rip-offs, and they're running out of ideas on the hockey side.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment