Featured Post

My Non-Reds Frankenset: Cards #10 - 18

Last week, I showed off the first nine cards (x2) in my non-Reds Frankenset.  Despite the large amount of scanning necessary for the post, I have to admit that it was a fun exercise and I'm already really liking how my Frankenset is coming together.  So much so, in fact, that I'm ready to get back to it and determine some more representatives for cards #10 - 18.

#10:

One thing I've learned already is that Alex Rodriguez had quite a few nice/interesting/cool baseball cards with card numbers 10 or less.  That 1998 Score card of A-Rod is quite fun.  I also love that Kyle Zimmer card simply because of the background.  I mean, what they do - fall down a hill and then decide to do the photoshoot there rather than climb back up?!  I also like the throwback jerseys on the Tim Hudson card and I think I've already mentioned that I like the Fleer Box Score set (the Marlins colors really pop with the design).

In the end, I had to go with the A-Rod card and the Jeff Bagwell (that UD Vintage set is one of my all-time favorite sets that I'm not trying to actually collect in its entirety).  You'll probably see other representatives from that set sneak into my Frankenset as we move forward!

#11:

From the moment I saw that young Bernie Williams card I was fairly certain that one would make the cut for the Frankenset.  The other three contenders for the second slot at #11 are all perfectly fine but none really blow me away.  I ended up choosing the horizontally framed Rick Ankiel card for no real reason other than I like celebration cards.

#12:

Two 1998 Flair Showcase cards of Todd Helton lead the way here.  I debated about putting both in my Frankenset but in the end I opted to only go with the rarer of the two (the "Style" version) which happened to be the design I liked better anyhow.  For the second card slot, there were a lot of choices but ultimately Scott Rolen barely beat out the 1990 Score card of Roberto Alomar (1990 Score is severely underrated and I'll fight* anyone who disagrees with me).

*verbally, I'm too old for a physical fight, calm down.

#13:

Occasionally, a card is going to make it into my Frankenset based on nostalgia alone.  For me, that Ryan Klesko Rated Rookie card is forever going to be a card that I love.  I never really liked Klesko much, nor the Braves, but I have fond memories of getting up early and sneaking a peak at my Easter basket back in 1992 (or maybe 1993?) and ripping open a pack of 1992 Donruss which held this card. 

The second card came down to the Jose Fernandez rookie card, the Ricky Botaalico skyline Metal Universe card, and the A-Rod counterparts card (with Edgar Renteria on the back).  It pained me to let the Bottalico go into my "unwanted" box but I had to keep the Jose Fernandez rookie card in the binder, if for no other reason than to constantly remind myself that life is short and to enjoy the moment. 

#14:

Card slot #14 has probably one of the weakest selection of cards to choose from for any card number to date.  I couldn't decide if I wanted to include non-baseball subjects in my Frankenset but I've decided to allow it.  Thus, Wambach gets in because she is arguable the biggest star featured on any of the cards in the slot.  The second pick ended up going to the Stadium Club Chrome card of Kevin Young, mostly because I like Stadium Club Chrome.  What can I say, my Frankenset, my rules!

#15:

Funny that two Bowman's Best cards made the final cut considering the fact that I almost never collect (or even buy) Bowman stuff.  That Sano rookie card is actually my favorite of the bunch here though so it makes it in the binder.  The second choice is going to nostalgia once again with the McGwire 1990 Fleer card making the binder.  Toughest card to cut here?  That Pacific Randy Johnson, I love the color scheme and I love Pacific...hard to lose that one but tough choices had to be made.

#16:

Spot #16 in the binder ended up being an easy choice for me.  I've always loved that Zenith card of Sosa, so much green grass in the picture!  The other card making the cut is the Topps Gold Label of Chipper Jones (another set that I love and would collect if I had more time/money/storage space).  At least with a Frankenset I can have some representation of other sets that I like in my collection!

#17:

I had 14 cards set aside for spot #17 in my Frankenset but believe or not I didn't really like any of them all that much!  I ended up going with another Sammy Sosa (this time as White Sox at least) for the binder and then I took the Edgar Martinez even though it's not the best card.

On a side note, I do plan to continue to stockpile potential additions for my non-Reds Frankenset as I acquire them over the years and then every now and then I'll sort through the pile and compare the new options with what I had picked previously.  I have no doubts that Edgar will eventually get replaced but he'll do for now.

#18:

Finally, we made it to the end of the second page (well, the end of two second pages since I'm making a pair of parallel Frankensets for the first 100 cards or so).  Anyhow, for the 18th spot in the set we have a few good choices.  In the end, I went with Brandi Chastain (the second soccer player to make the cut thus far) for one of the spots and then I basically flipped a coin between the Shawn Green (love the colors and the set) and the Billy Ripken (love the nostalgia).  Green's very blue card won the flip and so it goes.

That's the first 18 in the books now.  What do you think of my choices?  It's been a fun process (though the scanning gets old since I constantly have to get up and down to do any scanning of baseball cards)!

Comments

  1. I'm not a fan of throwback jersey's, but that Tim Hudson is pretty awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment