Featured Post

COMC - Part 6: Space, an Emperor, and Medusa

I'm nearly done showing off my last COMC purchase from 2019.  In fact, after today's post there will only be one more post full of cards and then I will actually be finished. 

Today's collection of cards is rather small, both in terms of physical size (two of the three are minis) but also in total number (only three cards).  We begin with another mini from the 2007 Allen & Ginter set (a set that I bought and showed off a bunch of cards from in my last COMC post).

In addition to all of the flag cards I showed last time, I also nabbed one more mini from the 2007 set:  Caligula from the Roman Emperors set.

The Roman Emperor set has a total of only ten cards in it and yet even with this latest purchase I'm still missing 20% of the set.  In my case, the two missing cards are #1 (Julius Caesar) and #6 (Nero).  I do have hopes that this is a set that I can actually finish off in 2020!

The second mini set that I grabbed a needed card from was the 2009 Allen & Ginter Creatures of Legend, Myth, & Terror.

That's Medusa and I probably overpaid for that particular card.  However, I do love this particular mini set and I hadn't made any progress on it in quite some time.  In fact, my entire 2009 A&G set is still kind of behind a lot of other years in terms of how many cards I still am looking for.

  • Inventions of the Future (minis): FI5
  • Extinct Creatures (minis):   EA1
  • Creatures of Legend, Myth, &Terror (minis): 5, 14, 15
  • Cabinet Boxloader: CB6, CB10
  • Regular back mini:  134, 159, 176, 205, 277

Hard to believe I am missing that many cards all these years later, isn't it?!

Finally, as a bit of a throw-in at the last moment I also bought one more of the Heroes of Spaceflight cards that I needed from the 2009 Topps Heritage American Heroes set.

I am a huge fan of the Heroes of Spaceflight cards (there were also Spaceflight relics in the set which are even cooler).  I even like the back of the Heroes of Spaceflight cards because they give you actual information about the mission on the card front.  For example, the Project Gemini VIII mission was to include two parts, docking with Agena Target Vehicle and a spacewalk.  The docking went fine but the spacewalk never happened due to a mechanical error (stuck thruster).  Instead, the module holding the astronauts tumbled around and eventually splashed down on Earth a mere 10 hours after launch.

Like I said earlier, I've got one more post full of cards to show off from my COMC purchase.  You'll have to stay tuned to see those!


Comments

  1. I love how Topps gave Medusa a stylish toga/tank top to wear.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment