Featured Post

COMC - Part 7: The Grand Finale (Patches Galore!)

It's finally time to show off the last of my COMC purchase from 2019.  It feels good to be all but done showing off the purchase since this is the last remaining thing that I needed to put on the blog from 2019.  It'll officially be all 2020 stuff and beyond from here on out!

All of the cards remaining are patch cards from the wonderful 2015 Upper Deck Dinosaurs set.  I decided quite some time ago that I would try and collect the entire patch set and here I am making solid progress!

In card number order:

AOD-1.  Sauroposeidon

I'm actually reading a novel right now written by a paleontologist.  I'm not far enough through the book quite yet to say whether or not I'll be recommending it to others but I can say that there have been a number of fascinating bits for me to learn about (at the moment, the author is talking a lot about creatures that roamed Earth prior to the time of the dinosaurs).

AOD-18.  Brachiosaurus

The Sauroposeidon card was a common patch (seeded 1:32 packs) but the Brachiosaurus was from the uncommon category (1:84 packs) as is the next patch on my list today.  The card back says that Brachiosaurus draws comparisons to the modern day giraffe which I guess makes sense given each creature's long neck.

AOD-21.  Apatosaurus

The whole "apatosaurus" vs. "brontosaurus" naming thing is confusing - and often what you read is contradictory.  I believe that science is now on the side of both apatosaurus and brontosaurus existing in their own rights but according to the card back that's not true.  I know when I was a kid it was apatosaurus taking the place of brontosaurus.  I guess I still have plenty to learn about dinosaurs.

AOD-26.  Placerias

Just when I think I know about dinosaurs, I find another one that I've never even heard of.  Placerias was an herbivore that resembled a modern day hippopotamus.  This is the third "uncommon" patch in a row that I acquired this purchase.

AOD-29.  Argentinosaurus

The eggs of this guy were 8.7 inches in diameter!  The card back says it took about 15 years for a baby to reach adulthood.  How scientists ever determined that, I have no idea but it's still kind of cool.  Also cool?  This one is yet another "uncommon" patch (1:84 packs) that I now own.

AOD-48.  Ichthyosaurus

And finally, the final patch card that I bought was this 1:32 pack Ichthyosaurus.  Ichthy (as I'll call him) gets the honor of being the last of the common patches that I needed.  At this point, according to my records anyhow I am now missing 5 of the 15 uncommon patches, 8 of the 10 rare patches (seeded 1:179 packs), and all 5 of the super rare patches (1:578 packs).  In total, I have 42 of the 60 patches in the set (or 70% of the set completed).  Not bad but the going is going to get a lot tougher from here on out since I've now cherry picked all the easy dino cards!

Comments

  1. This might sound crazy... but I like the idea that Upper Deck made a few of these so tough to pull. That'll make the set challenging... while probably keeping singles from flooding dollar boxes. I actually wish Topps would cut back on the mass production of baseball inserts and start making them tougher to pull like back in the 90's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe that most of those rare patches sell for triple figures still?! I'm not sure if they'll ever come down in price (I haven't found the print run posted anywhere but I have to imagine there aren't all that many of them out there to start with).

      Delete
  2. Even if you're not sure about recommending it, I'd still be curious to know what the book is, if only so I can go see what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's called "The Rise and Fall of the Dinosaurs" by Steve Brusatte, link . I'll be sure to include my thoughts on the book (once I finish it) on my blog!

      Delete

Post a Comment