Featured Post

30 MLB Teams in 30 Posts: #19

We've made it to team #19 in my countdown of all 30 MLB teams.  With over one-third of the teams already ranked, it should make guessing the next team on the list a bit easier.  Then again, for as difficult as it was for me to make distinctions among a bunch of "meh" teams, perhaps the guessing won't actually be all that much easier!

#19:  Los Angeles Angels  (2019 rank:  #17)

The Angels have had the best player in baseball (Mike Trout) play exclusively for them for his entire career and yet the Angels have mostly been a secondary team even within their own division.  Heck, even the small market Athletics seem to be running a better team than the Angels most years.

That being said, the Angels did go out and acquire some guys with the hopes of competing in the AL West this year.  That's probably a smart move because you have to assume the Astros won't be as good this year (for many reasons including some strictly baseball reasons like losing Garrett Cole).

I don't have a lot good or bad to say about the Angels.  I kind of hated their stupid noise sticks when they were in the playoffs though so that's what is keeping them closer to the bottom of the rankings than the top.

Next up?  More East Coast bias I guess as we stay out west for the next team on the countdown.  At least we change leagues.

2020 Rankings:
#30:  New York Yankees
#29:  Boston Red Sox
#28:  St. Louis Cardinals
#27:  San Francisco Giants
#26:  Washington Nationals
#25:  Miami Marlins
#24:  Chicago Cubs
#23:  Milwaukee Brewers
#22:  Houston Astros
#21:  Pittsburgh Pirates
#20:  Atlanta Braves
#19:  Los Angeles Angels
#18: ??

Contest entries to date (see here for details):
12  John Sharp
12  P-Town Tom
10  bbcardz
7  hockey kazi
15  Brett Alan
11  Fuji
1  acrackedbat
1  Wilson
13  Matt
1 Trevor P.
1 friend11
1 Adam Kaningher

Comments

  1. Not an Angels fan at All, primarily because of Trout being the poster boy for analytics, which I can stand.

    Trout is a great player, no one needs analytics to tell me that.

    Maybe, because of the proximity to the Angels, you'll go Dodgers next

    Good Job! 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel compelled to root for the Angels because both of my local minor league teams are Angels farm teams, but find them pretty uninteresting.

    I'll think your next team will be the "meh" Padres.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm trying Diamondbacks again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never had strong feelings about the Angels. They're sort of defined in my eyes by their inability to settle on a name, which is more comical than positive or negative. I guess I'd like to see Trout finally get a chance at World Series, but at the same time I don't see me really rooting for them as a team.

    I'll take the D-Backs for the western NL team to come next.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trending upward on the Angels. I like the novelty of what Ohtani can bring to the table and they added Joe Maddon.
    Definitely the Dodgers next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always liked the Angels--they're my 2nd favorite team behind the Dodgers. The Angels started out as the Los Angeles Angels and played their first four seasons at Dodger Stadium (but always referred to it as "Chavez Ravine"). Heck, even my kids were born in Anaheim!

    I predict the Dodgers are up next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still surprised the Joc Pederson trade didn't go through for them. If the reports suggesting their owner meddled, that would be a knock against them. I'll say Diamondbacks are next.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Angels have always been one of those teams where I don't mind their players (DeCinces, Carew, Abbott, Ohtani etc.), but I'm not a big fan of the team.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment