Featured Post

30 MLB Teams in 30 Posts: #6

We've reached the Top 6 of my countdown and the surprises are still coming!

#6:  Tampa Bay Rays (2019 rank:  #12)

The Rays improved six spots from their ranking last year - and that's in no small part to them dominating the Red Sox in the standings last year!  The Rays are a team that I find myself almost having to root for on a daily basis since they play New York and Boston so often.

As a math guy, I also appreciate what the Rays are able to do with statistics and mathematical analyses.  Of course, I felt the same way about the Astros up until this past winter when the world found out that Houston was more Trash Can banging and less Tangent Function math-ing.

Hopefully the Rays are doing it the right way...or else they too will plummet in my rankings the next time around.

Speaking of next time, we find our first team inside the Top 5 of all MLB teams.  This particular team was a top 10 team in 2019...and now will be a top 5 team in 2020 (if only in my personal standings at least).

2020 Rankings:
#30:  New York Yankees
#29:  Boston Red Sox
#28:  St. Louis Cardinals
#27:  San Francisco Giants
#26:  Washington Nationals
#25:  Miami Marlins
#24:  Chicago Cubs
#23:  Milwaukee Brewers
#22:  Houston Astros
#21:  Pittsburgh Pirates
#20:  Atlanta Braves
#19:  Los Angeles Angels
#18:  Los Angeles Dodgers
#17:  Texas Rangers
#16:  San Diego Padres
#15:  Baltimore Orioles
#14:  Colorado Rockies
#13:  Kansas City Royals
#12:  Toronto Blue Jays
#11:  Oakland Athletics
#10:  Chicago White Sox
#9:  Minnesota Twins
#8:  Philadelphia Phillies
#7:  Arizona Diamondbacks
#6:  Tampa Bay Rays
#5:  ??

Contest entries to date (see here for details):
26  John Sharp
26  P-Town Tom
20  bbcardz
17 hockey kazi
30  Brett Alan
23 Fuji
1  acrackedbat
1  Wilson
25 Matt
2 Trevor P.
1 friend11
1 Adam Kaningher
1 CrazieJoe
1 Brian
2 OhioTim

Comments

  1. I will go with the Seattle Mariners again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Went to the first 3 games in Rays history (they played the Tigers).
    That ballpark also hosted the Tampa Bay Lightning, and the place was always half full of Red Wings fans.

    My Tigers are in your Top 5, and, well, I think it'll be a few more years before that happens in the American League.

    Good Job!👍

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also appreciate what the Rays have been doing in terms of applications of statistics and their willingness to try different things, like the opener.
    I'll go Mariners again. I think is the third time I've guessed them... they have to be coming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's too bad the Rays' fan base is rather weak. You would think Florida would be a baseball hotbed since that state has had Spring Training since like forever. It's likely their fan base will get stronger as the younger fans grow up and have more money to spend on tickets and merch. Winning records should also help.

    Looks like Detroit is up next...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Picking Tigers again

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm. Mariners. Indians. Tigers. I'll go with the Tigers. Not much to say about the Rays. I enjoy cheering for Blake Snell and Austin Meadows. Lol. They might be the only two current Rays I can name.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those Rays are pesky...I find myself wondering how they win as often as they do. Oh well, maybe the Tigers are next.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not much to say about the Rays. Not a very successful franchise, I guess.

    I'll go Tigers next, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment