Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 724: 2003 Fleer Hardball - #189

Barry Larkin
Year:  2003
Brand:  Fleer Hardball
Card number:  189

One of the great things about having a player collection is that I often stumble across sets that I otherwise would have never even have heard of.  The 2003 Fleer Hardball set is definitely one such set!

The "gimmick" of this set should be obvious enough from the above scan - each card was printed on a 2 1/2" diameter disc meant to look like a baseball (at least from the front of the card).  It's no real surprise to me that this set didn't exactly take off, circular cards are the worst to try and store!  Also, Fleer went all-in on Barry Bonds cards and I think that decision didn't work out as they probably hoped!

In addition to the base card, Larkin has two parallels in the set:  a gold parallel and a platinum parallel (the platinum is hobby only and numbered out of only 50 copies).  Larkin was not featured in any of the insert sets or the various hits which is both too bad (since those cards are kind of unique) but also probably just as well since I don't think I've seen this particular set ever featured on anyone's blog (which tells me acquiring a specific card might be rather tricky)!

Comments