Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 725: 2015 Topps Archives - #115

Barry Larkin
Year:  2015
Brand:  Topps Archives
Card number:  115

Larkin may have been retired for quite awhile by the time 2015 rolled around but that didn't stop card companies from printing many new Barry Larkin cards.  One such set that contained a whole bunch of Larkins was the 2015 Topps Archives set.

The base card (shown above) is a nice enough throwback design (from 1976 Topps) but it's the bright blue sky coupled with the bright red in Larkin's jersey/hat that makes the card sing for me!  I like the card backs as well but I will admit that the statistics are kind of hard to read for players with long careers (tiny fonts on dark green are tough on my eyes these days).

In addition to the base card, Barry has a number of other cards in the set including the following parallels:

  • Silver (serial-numbered to 199 copies)
  • Gold (serial-numbered to 50 copies)
  • Black (one-of-one)
  • Printing Plates (set of four for each card)

I do own a copy of the silver parallel (which I'll feature in a future Barry Larkin Collection post) but the rest of the parallels have eluded me thus far.  In actuality, I'll probably only ever try for the Gold parallel as I've all but given up acquiring any cards for which there are fewer than 25 copies produced (I won't turn down rare cards like that but I won't be spending my money on them, at least not usually).

As for this card, I do own a couple of extras (plus I have plenty of other extra Larkin cards for trade) so if you are interested let me know!

Comments