Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 727: 2003 Topps 205 - #31 - Piedmont back mini

Barry Larkin
Year:  2003
Brand:  Topps 205
Insert type:  Piedmont back mini
Card number:  31

In the 2003 Topps 205 set, Topps created a number of mini parallels for its base set.  While I won't try to explain how all of the minis in the set work, I can take a stab at explaining how Larkin's minis worked.

For starters, there are four different "regular" minis to collect for Larkin.  The most common is the Polar Bear back.  The next most common is the Sovereign Black-Back (with 20% of those having green backs).  Rarer yet are Drum back minis and then the rarest of the "regular" minis are the Bazooka Red minis which are numbered out of only five copies.

In addition, Topps created a "mixed" brand level of parallel minis.  In this mixed set, Larkin was given the Piedmont back (shown above).  Ten percent of the Piedmont parallels were printed with purple ink while the rest were done in brown ink.

Barry Larkin also has a Brooklyn back mini parallel in the set (Larkin's card is considered to be part of the "uncommon" tier for that particular set). 

I do own the Polar Bear mini as well as the Brooklyn mini (both of which I'll show off in a future Barry Larkin Collection post) but otherwise I have an awful lot of work to do if I'm to acquire all of the different Larkin cards from this particular set.  Heck, I'm not even 100% certain that I've even figured out every Larkin card that exists but here's what I think there is:
  • Topps 205  (I own)
  • Topps 205 Bazooka Red
  • Topps 205 Brooklyn  (I own)
  • Topps 205 Drum
  • Topps 205 Piedmont  (I own)
  • Topps 205 Piedmont Purple
  • Topps 205 Polar Bear  (I own)
  • Topps 205 Sovereign
  • Topps 205 Sovereign Green

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this guide. I probably won't remember the information. But if I'm at a show and I stumble across any of these minis, I can pull up this post to see if any of them are rare parallels.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment