Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 730: 2003 Fleer Rookies & Greats - #46

Barry Larkin
Year:  2003
Brand:  Fleer Rookies & Greats
Card number:  46

By 2003, the Fleer brand was basically dumping just about anything it could on the baseball card buying public.  Fleer was producing sets left and right, many of which probably had no reason to exist in the first place.  For my money, the 2003 Fleer Rookies & Greats is one such set that probably shouldn't have ever made it to print.

The card design itself isn't bad exactly, but it's so boring and doesn't do anything different (or better) than countless other Fleer designs of the era.  The card's front is overly gray while the back is even more gray with only the tiniest team logos and a splash of color livening up either side of the card.

On the bright side (?), if all that gray isn't for you then there is a blue parallel (#/250) for each of the base cards in this set.  I don't yet own Barry's parallel...and I can't say I'm rushing to track it down, but maybe someday it'll land in my collection. 

Barry also shows up in the Through the Years game-used dual relic card set.  He's paired up with Joe Morgan in a card numbered out of 360.  I'd actually love to acquire that card some day!  There's also a dual patch card (same insert set, also paired with Joe Morgan) but the patch card is numbered out of only 25.  I'm guessing I won't ever find one of those but maybe I can actually get the "regular" version of the relic sometime.


Comments

  1. I've heard the name Rookies & Greats, but this set does not look familiar at all. It's funny you mentioned Fleer's overextended product line because around that time I bought a random pack of Patchworks or something odd and pulled a relic card... of Barry Larkin :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment