Featured Post

My 2020 Blog Resolutions: Check-In #1

Back in January, I created a list of eight resolutions for the new year.  As I did in 2019, I hope to do bi-monthly check-ins on my resolutions both to see how I'm progressing but also to keep me on track moving forward!

Since it's only been two months, I don't have high hopes that I've accomplished much yet.  That's even more so the case for the first two months of the year since those also coincide with the start of the spring semester at work (a super busy time).  Even so, hopefully I managed to do something good in two months!

1.  Barry Larkin Collection

The goal here has three parts but the only part that I've even done a little bit on is the writing up of new Larkin cards for my collection.  As of this week, I'm at 724 different Barry Larkin cards written about (with another 50 or so scanned and waiting to be written about).  I have a ton of other Larkin cards to scan...and a fairly large pile to sort but I haven't done anything on either of those fronts for now.  My goal for writing up Larkin cards is to get to 775 by the end of the year.  That means I need to do about 50 more posts.  Doable, but I feel like I'm behind pace here already!

2.  Blog Trading

The goal here is to complete 50 trades by the end of 2020.  I've already mailed out over 10 packages so I'm well on my way here!  At least now I know for sure that I'm on track for at least one goal!

3.  The Want List

I'm hoping to get my want list down to 90 or fewer sets by the end of 2020.  The good news is that I haven't added a single new set to my want list yet this year.  Also good news?  I did manage to complete one set so far which means my want list should currently sit at 98 sets.  Still a long ways to go on this goal (I'll probably go all-in on Ginter again this year so I know I will be adding some new stuff to the want list which makes the goal even harder to meet)!

4.  The Great Reorganization

The less said about this goal right now, the better.  Oof.

5.  The LEGO Blog

I hope to write at least 36 posts for my LEGO blog this year.  With a goal of three posts per month I'm basically on track right now.  Yay!

6.  Reading

My goal is to read twelve books in 2020.  So far, I've finished one novel and started another which means I'm basically on pace (maybe a bit behind but I should have more time to read in the summer so I'm satisfied with my progress so far here).

7.  Teaching

It looks more and more likely that I will be teaching a new robotics first-year seminar next fall so I need to get my act together in terms of lesson planning.  I have done quite a bit of prep work though so again I feel okay with where I'm at.  Hopefully by the April check-in I'll have a lot of stuff done for the new course.

8.  Woodworking

Nothing to report here, my "shop" is in the back of my garage and it's been much too cold to do anything in there for now. 

Overall, the year is still super young but I'm on track with a number of goals (which honestly, surprised me a bit)!  My Great Reorganization is a thorn in my side for a number of years but maybe I'll finally buckle down and do something about it this summer.  In terms of priorities, I do need to shift focus over to the new course I'm teaching so *fingers crossed* by the next resolution check-in hopefully I'll have a lot more good news to share there!



Comments

  1. At least you're still trying to keep up with your goals, that should count for something as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to sit in on the robotics class.

    I think the only collecting goal I'm crushing so far is buying or trading for tons of new stuff. I need to slow down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you've made some good progress so far. The only thing I've been able to keep up with is organizing. (That's why I only made one goal this year - and I'm on track to reach it this summer)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This year I started teaching a new elective (one period + 4 periods of the class I've been teaching for over a decade)... and next year I'll be teaching a different elective, so I totally understand developing new curriculum and how it can take up some of your free time. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment