Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 739: 2003 Upper Deck 40-Man - #726

Barry Larkin
Year:  2003
Brand:  Upper Deck 40-Man
Card number:  726

Sets like the Upper Deck 40-Man (with it's 990 cards) are great for Frankenset builders because you can never have enough potentially interesting cards numbered above 600 or so.  Of course, if you are a player collector then huge sets like 40-Man offer a better chance of your favorite player being selected for inclusion within the set.  I guess in that sense the 2003 Upper Deck 40-Man set is a winner.  Heck, even the photo they chose for Larkin's card is unique and while I wouldn't my entire binder full of cards with images of Larkin starting blankly into the camera, one or two is kind of a nice change of pace from the usual hitting and fielding shots. 

Besides the base card, there is also a Rainbow parallel of Larkin's card out there in the wild.  I haven't stumbled across one for my own collection yet but that's probably due to a combination of this set not being terribly popular plus the sheer size of the set (meaning finding a specific parallel is that much more difficult).  For now, I'm happy to simply have the base card tucked away in my Larkin binder!

Comments