Featured Post

Complete Set Chronicles: 2006 Fleer Greats of the Game: Cincinnati Reds Greats

Earlier this month, I took at a look at a different "greats" set from 2006 Fleer Greats of the Game (that being the Cubs).  Today, we look at the Cubs' divisional rival (and my personal favorite team):  the Cincinnati Reds.

Like all of the team greats insert sets in 2006 Fleer GotG (too long of a set name to continually type out), the Reds' team set is 10 cards in size.  As a set collector who stores his sets in binder pages, have I mentioned how much I detest 10 card insert sets? 

Despite my annoyance at the size of the set, I have to admit that the Reds' team set is interesting!

The personal highlight for me is, of course, Barry Larkin since that's the guy that I have a personal collection of but I can't argue with many of the names on this page.  We've got:
Barry Larkin
Dave Concepcion
Eric Davis
Frank Robinson
George Foster
Johnny Bench

Of that group, only Eric Davis is one who maybe doesn't have the longevity (nor the impact) on the Reds' franchise that the others do.  Don't get me wrong, Davis played a key role in the Reds winning their last World Series (way back in 1990) but he also left the team on rather sour terms thanks to how Marge Schott treated him in the aftermath of his rib injury.

The second page finishes off the set the final four representatives:

Here, we have:
Joe Morgan
Ken Griffey, Sr.
Tony Perez
Tom Seaver

Obviously, when you think of the Reds you have to first think of the Big Red Machine from the 1970s.  This particular Reds insert set has plenty of Big Red Machine representation which is great.  It's a little weird that there isn't anyone from before the 70s in the Reds' set but I can't argue with the selections that were made.

Overall, this is another solid little set in the 2006 Fleer Greats of the Game.

Bottom Line:
9/10  

I'm scoring this set a bit higher because of personal bias (Larkin's included!) as well as the fact that this truly is a team full of players who can be considered "great" under basically anyone's definition.  When Eric Davis is the worst player in the insert set, you've done something alright!

Comments

  1. Very cool set. It's a shame that Pete Rose couldn't be a part of it. He's one of the first people I think of when I think of the Cincinnati Reds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! I love these sets and picked up the ones for the Tigers a while back. The Reds also have a very good group, and Davis is certainly worthy. Pete can blame only himself that he and his awful haircut can't be part of anything like this!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment