Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 751: 2004 Donruss Studio - #58

Barry Larkin
Year:  2004
Brand:  Donruss Studio
Card number:  58

The 2004 Donruss Studio set is a nice, colorful set - at least for the Reds cards!  The gorgeous Cincinnati skyline shot as a background makes for a striking card and the red of the Reds' uniform really pops against that background.  All things considered, I very much like the card fronts.

The backs of the cards are fairly standard Donruss affairs but at least the write-up is appropriately glowing for this particular time period (the end of Larkin's playing career).  I'll never love only getting a single year's worth of statistics but otherwise I guess the backside is fine.

In addition to the base card shown above, there are three parallels to track down:  a Silver Proof (#/100), a Gold Proof (#/50), and a Platinum Proof (#/10).  I don't (yet?) own any of the three parallels.  Barry is also part of the partial parallel autograph series called Private Signings.  He has a Silver auto, a Gold auto, and a Platinum auto (all of which I don't own, unfortunately).

All told, I like the 2004 Studio set better than a lot of other year's editions of the brand.  I wouldn't mind having the other parallels but Donruss is kind of known for annoying, pointless parallels so it's not exactly a high priority thing for me to track down.  At the very least, I would like to add at least one of the Private Signing autographs to my collection but at least as of the time I wrote this post there weren't any Larkin autos available for sale on eBay.

Comments

  1. That photo of Cincinnati's skyline is gorgeous. Kudos to Donruss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Barry Larkin. Michigan Man.
    Go BLUE!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment