Featured Post

Barry Larkin Collection 752: 2004 Donruss Elite - #12 - Passing the Torch Green Parallel (#/500)

Barry Larkin
Year:  2004
Brand:  Donruss Elite
Card number:  PT12  (#204/500)
Insert set:  Passing the Torch
Parallel version:  Green

The 2004 Donruss Elite set is a beast of a set with tons of inserts...and tons of parallels within most of the insert sets.  Back in May of 2020, I did my best to break down all of Larkin's various cards that are in the 2004 Donruss Elite set so I won't rehash that here.

Instead, let's focus on the card at hand.  This is a beautiful shiny Larkin card and it's numbered out of only 500 which makes it fairly rare (at least within the types of Larkin cards that I have in my collection)!  The only complain that I have about this card is that the theme is "Passing the Torch" but on the single-player cards like this there's no indication of who is passing the proverbial torch to who (whom?).  On the dual-player version of this card, you get both Joe Morgan and Barry Larkin together so the passing of the torch theme makes a bit more sense (even if the two players played different positions, both were at least middle infielders).

Still, that's a minor quibble for what's otherwise a rather nice looking card.  I'm definitely happy to have this in my collection and maybe someday I'll try to track down some of the many other parallels of the card!

Comments

  1. The single player cards were okay... but the dual player cards were the coolest. I really enjoyed the late 90's Passing the Torch inserts with guys like Jeter and Ozzie paired up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'll agree the single-player cards make less sense, but otherwise these look awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment