Featured Post

Just For Fun: 2014 Topps Stadium Club - Best Card Competition (Cards #37 - 72)

 I'm back with the next batch of pages from the 2014 Topps Stadium Club set.  My "Just for Fun" series is to determine the best card in the set by first figuring out the best card on each 9-pocket binder page.  It's been a long time since I've looked through the '14 set so if nothing else this exercise should be a fun way to enjoy an older, perhaps forgotten set.

Page 5 - Cards 37 - 45:


This is a star-studded page with awesome photos galore.  The Pence is a tremendous shot...the Pedro is cool, even the Polanco rookie is nice.  On another page either Hammerin' Hank or Shin-Soo Choo would have waltzed away with a victory but on this page I have to give the nod to Jackie Robinson, just barely, over the Hunter Pence.


Like I said in the first "Just for Fun" post, the legends of baseball brought their A-game to the 2014 Stadium Club set!

Page 6 - Cards 46 - 54:


Page 5 is our first page without a ton of variety or interesting images.  For me, it comes down to either the Rickey Henderson or the Mike Trout and while I do like the Henderson card a lot I think I prefer the general happiness of the Trout card!


The colors on the Mike Trout card won me over, what can I say?  I love bright baseball cards!

Page 7 - Cards 55 - 63:


I like the Tigers' uniform on the Castellanos rookie (and it helps that Nick is a now a Red) but the two best cards on the page are, without a doubt, the Jayson Werth and the Albert Pujols.  For as nice at the Pujols is, the patriotic and super summery shot used for the Jayson Werth card won me over!


I mean, that card simply screams July to you, doesn't it?!

Page 8 - Cards 64 - 72:


We end today's batch of pages with a bunch of cards featuring a bunch of people all at once!  While kind of neat, if I'm being honest none of these cards super excite or interest me.  I guess I'll choose the Matt Cain card as the "winner" of the page mostly because the dugout shot is at least a little bit unique.  


If nothing else, the horizontal domination continues with 3 of the 4 winners of this post having photos in landscape orientation (and that makes it 6 out of 8 cards overall so far).  More yet to come from this set!

Comments

  1. These were some tough choices! Hard to argue against Robinson, even though I love me some Pedro. I probably would go with Rickey over Trout, Werth, and Beltre over Cain. I'm calling it now - Ruth Vs. Robinson will be the key match-up here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. - Page 5: Hunter Pence, Jackie Robinson, and Henry Aaron, although that last row is filled with cool shots. Jackie Robinson overall. Will likely wind up as one of my favorites in the entire set.

    - Page 6: Rickey Henderson, Mike Trout, and Willie Mays (by default). Rickey Henderson with ease overall. Love that you can see just how hard he is pushing himself in that shot.

    - Page 7: Nicholas Castellanos, Albert Pujols, and Alex Guerrero (by default). Pujols overall, although there are some cool details on the Castellanos.

    - Page 8: Matt Cain, Adrian Beltre, and Justin Upton. Beltre overall due to an appearance by Elvis Andrus. Was hoping that there was a chance that Tim Hudson would make a guest appearance in each row, but, alas, he only snuck onto the Cain and Freeman cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 5. Robinson (Pence doesn't stand a chance)

    6. Rickey

    7. Pujols

    8. Ugh, I hate voting for a Giant, esp., with Baumgarner in there. Going with Ozzie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jackie, Rickey, Nick Castellanos, The Georgia Peach.

    I've never seen that Castellanos card. I love it when Detroit Stars uniforms appear on Tigers cards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Page 5: Robinson
    Page 6: Henderson
    Page 7: Schoop. For some reason, it's the one that my eye wants to keep looking at. The concentration in his face, maybe?
    Page 8: Ozzie. I kind of don't like all the cards where you can't immediately tell who the subject is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll go Pedro (that's my Mets bias), Mays, Castellanos, Darvish. I actually really don't like cards like that Matt Cain where you can't tell who the featured player is. If they put it as a multi-player card (and given how many players are left out of a set like this, they easily could), I'd like it more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We started off on the same wavelength with Jackie. But Rickey, Pujols, and Lincecum are my favorites from the last three pages.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only difference between you and I was I went with Rickey!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment