Featured Post

The Fear of Hot Mini Superstitious Sports

It's been a long time coming, but it's finally time for me to show off the last of the mini cards from my (no longer) recent Sportslots purchase.  Today's post title provides all the hints you need for the four different mini sets that I was able to buy some needed cards from...did you guess all four sets correctly?

First up, from 2018 - The World's Hottest Peppers


Personally, my taste buds check out on any pepper hotter than a Cayenne pepper but I can appreciate that others love super, super spicy things.  Speaking of Cayennes, I made a wonderful homemade hot sauce with most of the Cayenne peppers that I grew this year...it's spicy (a little goes a long way) but I love it on both eggs and to use a dip for french fries (among other things).  

While I'm happy to acquire two more cards for my set, I'm still quite a ways off from completing the entire Hot Pepper set from 2018:  World's Hottest Peppers Needs:  WHP- 3, 5, 8, 10, 15

The next couple of mini sets are, admittedly, less interesting to me personally.  We'll begin with the non-sport one:  Folio of Fears.


Unlike a lot of people, I couldn't care less about the Halloween holiday season.  I also don't care to watch scary movies nor do I have any interest in most of the other things involving Halloween.  It's nothing personal, I just don't have much of an interest in scary (real or otherwise) stuff I guess.  As such, it's not much of a surprise that I'd be kind of "meh" on the Folio of Fears set since it's a full set dedicated to the fear of things.  Folio of Fears Needs:  MFF- 1, 2, 4, 7

The one weird thing is that I'm not really afraid of much personally.  I don't like heights (such as climbing up on a roof to do some repairs) but I can do it.  On the other hand, I love high rides like roller coasters or Ferris wheels.  *shrugs*

The other set that isn't overly appealing to me from 2018 is the Baseball Superstitions set.  


I've mentioned a number of times lately that this particular set doesn't interest me nearly as much as it should have.  I can't explain why exactly...maybe it's the rather dull images?  I have no idea and it kind of makes me fear that I'm becoming a dreaded "jaded collector."  Maybe the sooner I finish this set off, the better?  Baseball Superstitions Needs:  MBS- 2, 3, 8, 9

All four of the mini sets from this particular Sportslots purchase were from the 2018 Ginter set...a set that I clearly did a poor job of collecting at the time of it's release!  (I have an excuse though, that was the year I had a newborn son.)  

Anyhow, next up is the retail only Exotic Sports, a set that I like a heckuva lot more than the Baseball Superstitions set.


Perhaps in a sign that I collect what I like more efficiently, the two Exotic Sports cards you see above were the final two cards I needed to complete my own set!  This is the tenth set that I've completed off of my want list for 2020 - a feat that I'm definitely proud of and happy about!  

That does it for my first ever order from Sportslots.  I definitely learned my lesson the hard way on shipping with Sportslots but now that I know how it works, hopefully if (when?) I do another order I'll be a bit smarter about things!


Comments

  1. I really liked the Folio of Fears insert set and I don't watch horror movies at all. I don't consider them "horror," just "fears". It's a well-defined insert set. I considered collecting the whole thing at one point but gave up (I think you were the partial beneficiary if I remember correctly).

    I agree the Baseball Superstitions set looks dull. Not executed well. I don't know why they have such an issue with the baseball-themed mini insert sets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The belly flopping card is interesting. Your Baseball Superstitions baseball cards mini stirred my curiosity as well. Had to look it up on COMC to see what the back said. I wonder if Grilli still has that Nolan Ryan/KGJ card.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment