Featured Post

Sportlots Has Lots (more) Cards I Need!

 Yesterday, I showed off the first of three envelopes that should be arriving from a recent Sportlots order.  Today, I've got envelope #2 in hand and ready to go!

This particular seller had a few cards that I needed from a disparate group of set beginning with the 2009 Upper Deck Goudey set.


This monstrosity has been haunting my want list for over a decade now.  The sheer number of short prints (and big name subjects among the short prints) has made trading nearly impossible and so I've had to resort to buying which I kind of hate doing!  That said, if (when?) I finally finish this set off, it's bound to feel amazing.

As for the two cards that I needed from Goudey, that Nolan Ryan image has been done before but it's still a great shot.  The simple yellow background works well to keep the attention on Nolan.  As for the Yogi card, the less said about that probably the better...

Speaking of the less said the better, back in 2010 I decided to collect the Topps National Chicle set.  


Now that I have another needed card in hand, I'm thinking that I no longer remember why I ever thought it was a good idea to collect this particular set.  While I hate to give up on something that I'm so close to completing, the truth is I probably have much, much better uses for both the binder and the binder pages that currently are holding this particular set.  

To get that bitter taste out of my mouth, let's move on to a couple of sets that I haven't soured on beginning with the 2018 Topps Gypsy Queen Tarot of the Diamonds insert set.


I love everything about this insert set - the design, the colors, and even the card stock.  I don't care (or even know) anything about "official" Tarot cards but I do think it's a fun inclusion/theme for Gypsy Queen.  

And finally, the best for last:


Another Indigenous Heroes mini that I needed from the 2018 Allen & Ginter set.  I'm now only missing three more from this particular mini set!  

That does it for this small purchase but like I said, I should have one more envelope from the Sportlots purchase arriving soon.  On a different note, does anyone want to buy a (nearly) complete set of 2010 National Chicle from me?!  LOL...but seriously.

Comments

  1. Will Rogers. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, maybe I'm up too late and I'm just goofy, but, that Tyler Flowers card...

    ...so it's a 2010 card in the style of a very famous 1990 card...that much makes sense.

    ...and it replicates the original's "#1 draft pick" banner, even though Flowers wasn't a new draft pick at the time, and was in fact drafted in the 33rd round. Oy.

    ...and then it's branded with a brand from the 1930s which has nothing to do with the original card?

    This is why I'm normally in bed by now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2010 Chicle is an awesome set. So many beautiful cards. The Flowers in interesting. I have an A's rookie card from that set that was made to look like the 1980 Henderson. Now I'm wondering if there was a Padres rookie card meant to look like the Gwynn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything Brett said, with the added observation that the artist just flat-out gave up on making the runner look like anything human. A featureless face and a 4-toed foot for an arm make that look like it was drawn by someone in grade school. The more I look at it the creepier it gets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost positive the original artist only drew the runner's legs, and then someone else decided that the rest of the runner should be there and added it themselves. There's a story behind this card, and I wish someone in the know would share it!

      Delete

Post a Comment